PDA

View Full Version : How badly did I play this?

spamuell
10-02-2003, 02:18 PM
This happened in a LL hold'em game on pacific poker. I wasn't concentrating on the game at all, I was surfing the web and switching back to the game when it was my turn to act. This usually works well for me at a full handed table, but I don't notice how people play.

When I switched back, however, I noticed that the table had dwindled to about 5 people. I had KQ os 2 off the button, and because there were hardly any people at the table, I decided that I could raise and it could be the best hand. If I was reraised, I felt I could fold with ease. Everyone else at the table called (not surprising at LLHE). The flop comes

K J 8

with two clubs. The BB bets one caller before I raise (I don't put him on AK obviously because I suspect he would have raised pre-flop), everyone folds to the BB who reraises. I decide here that his most likely holding is KJ. The caller between the BB and me folds. The pot here is about 16 small bets and it's one more for me to call, so I decide to see a turn card and fold if he bets out again,
especially because I could easily be wrong about KJ. I call and the turn card is an offsuit Q making the board:

K J 8 Q

with two clubs. He bets, I raise, he reraises and I cap it. We see a river - a J (not a club). So the board is

K J 8 Q J

He bets and I just call. He shows KJ for the boat. I throw my mouse at the screen and shout something about two outs.

Should I have mucked my hand pre flop or only limped?
Should I have folded to his reraise for one more SB? Or was my mistake not watching the game? I usually find just playing solid cards is enough in Low Limit ($1/2 and less).

Any feedback is much appreciated

CMangano
10-02-2003, 03:09 PM
I think you played it fine. I would raise KQ 2 off the button in a 10 handed game. Way to get a read on a guy and follow through with it on the river.

BigEndian
10-02-2003, 03:30 PM
I don't put him on AK obviously because I suspect he would have raised pre-flop

Easy with that assumption. I saw at least 5 hands just last night where players weakly called with AK-anything. Probably even more frequent if there's a raise into them.

[edit] I remember one in particular because it bit my QQ in the butt. Whee.

LondonBroil
10-02-2003, 04:19 PM
In a shorthanded game, I would raise KQo at least 90% of the time. I would have played it the exact same way.

GuyOnTilt
10-02-2003, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had KQ os 2 off the button, and because there were hardly any people at the table, I decided that I could raise and it could be the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should be making this raise 2 off the button even if the table was full.

[ QUOTE ]
If I was reraised, I felt I could fold with ease.

[/ QUOTE ]
This would be one of the worst decisions you could possibly make.

[ QUOTE ]
I decide to see a turn card and fold if he bets out again,

[/ QUOTE ]
This would maybe be the 2nd worst decision you could make.

[ QUOTE ]
...especially because I could easily be wrong about KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems to contradict your above thinking...If you're not 90% sure of your KJ read, then why would you think about folding the turn?

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have mucked my hand pre flop or only limped?
Should I have folded to his reraise for one more SB?

[/ QUOTE ]
No and no.

Your play on this hand was good, but your thought process was that of a weak-tight player.