PDA

View Full Version : Lee Jones Vs Sklansky Pre Flop

Rounder 24/7
10-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Ok so I've learned that folding AJo UTG is wrong ... So why should I trust this Lee Jones dude. He writes a book about low limit holdem and tells me to fold preflop.

I've also heard that Jones is too loose in his starting requirements ... if this is the case then who's should I be following. I can't use sklansky's as they are for higher limits ... what do I do?

tiltboy
10-02-2003, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok so I've learned that folding AJo UTG is wrong

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, who taught you that 'valuable' lesson? I hope you got a receipt.

Mangatang
10-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Lee Jones' is a good book, but the preflop advice isn't the best. S&M's HPFAP has better preflop advice. Notice that the advice changes depending on the texture of the table (loose/passive, normal, tight/aggressive). If you can follow HPFAP's preflop advice for loose tables, you should be alright.

Mike Gallo
10-02-2003, 12:26 PM
Dra,

A cookbook doesnt exist.

In some games you can limp utg with AJ in other games you can fold, yet in others you can raise.

Experiment with this and post the results.

These books give a guideline, you take it from there.

Post some hands.

NoChance
10-02-2003, 12:59 PM
The preflop information Sklansky provides works well for low limit games. The strategies the book provides is what is geared more for higher limit games.

The section regarding post-flop is what is valuable in the Lee Jones book. It gives good advice on how to handle the different types of flops you will see.

Through experience, you start to learn that there really isn't a set plan that works for every situation. As others have explained, depending on the table conditions, these plays can be varied. Use them as a guideline and expand from there based on what works and does not work.

GuyOnTilt
10-02-2003, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok so I've learned that folding AJo UTG is wrong ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Where'd you learn that? I fold AJo UTG all the time. It's playable, but IMO only in certain situations. It hits the muck quite frequently for me.

Rounder 24/7
10-02-2003, 02:00 PM
I posted a AJo utg post and was told to go read another one posted earlier in the month ...everyone in that thread agreed that in a loose game you should raise with this hand.

Even u if i remember correctly. Could be wrong.

GuyOnTilt
10-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Yes, in some instances it is best to raise AJo UTG; some, to limp. But your post suggests that it is never right to fold it, which (I believe) it usually is.

tiltboy
10-02-2003, 04:41 PM
I agree with guy and should have been more clear in my earlier post. I think the lesson with AJo UTG is you either raise or fold, but don't just call.