PDA

View Full Version : Pre-flop, flop, and turn decisions

Luke
10-02-2003, 10:43 AM
All taken from a tighter than usual, yet still passive, 2-4 Party game:

1. UTG + 1 limps, CO raises, button calls, I fold KTs in the SB. I expected the BB and limper to come along but still thought a fold was the right play. Thoughts?

2. UTG opens with a raise. I'm UTG + 1 with red Jacks and re-raise. Folded to the button who calls 3 cold and UTG calls. I put the button on a wide range of hands (77 - KK, AK-AT, KQ, KJ are all possibilities). UTG I think is on a similar range of hands.

Flop [A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif]: UTG bets and I raise to get the button to possibly fold a bigger pair or a weak ace. Well, the button 3 bets, UTG calls, and I decide to take one off and call.
Turn [A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif]: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif: UTG checks, I check, the button bets, UTG calls and I fold.

Thoughts on the flop raise? I think after that the hand pretty much plays itself but I certainly could be wrong so all comments are welcome.

3. UTG + 1 limps, I call with 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif and somewhat suprisingly everyone else folds to the BB who checks his option.
Flop [T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]: BB bets, UTG + 1 calls, and I raise. They both call.
Turn [T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif: Checked to me, I bet and they both call.
River [T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif] K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif: Checked to me, I bet and they both fold.

I'm so used to playing in loose games where the fields are large and my sets will almost always get plenty of action. Therefore, I usually play them "fast" to charge the drawers. In this hand, considering my position and the fact that the field and pot is not large, do you think I should have waited until the turn to raise. The straight and flush draws aren't going anywhere anyway, so maybe I could have charged the max by waiting until the turn. What do you think?

Luke

Luke
10-02-2003, 01:05 PM
*bump*

Nate tha' Great
10-02-2003, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All taken from a tighter than usual, yet still passive, 2-4 Party game:

1. UTG + 1 limps, CO raises, button calls, I fold KTs in the SB. I expected the BB and limper to come along but still thought a fold was the right play. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably play it since it was suited and you got a discounted bet and a lot of callers. At a passive table, you can pump it (via a check raise) or dump it on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
2. UTG opens with a raise. I'm UTG + 1 with red Jacks and re-raise. Folded to the button who calls 3 cold and UTG calls. I put the button on a wide range of hands (77 - KK, AK-AT, KQ, KJ are all possibilities). UTG I think is on a similar range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless UTG has really loose preflop raising standards and you want to punish/isolate, I might call and try and get more money in the pot, then raise on the flop if appropriate.

[ QUOTE ]
In this hand, considering my position and the fact that the field and pot is not large, do you think I should have waited until the turn to raise. The straight and flush draws aren't going anywhere anyway, so maybe I could have charged the max by waiting until the turn. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the odds of someone holding two /images/graemlins/diamond.gif are small enough that a slowish play is probably correct there.