PDA

View Full Version : What Exactly Was Offensive About Rush's Comments?

Utah
10-02-2003, 10:06 AM
I am still trying to figure out what was offensive about Rush's comments? Can someone explain it to me?

He takes a shot at McNabb saying that he is not as good as people think he is? He takes a shot at the media saying they overrate him because they want a black Q-back to succeed. At most his comments were a shot at the media, but that is perfectly acceptable in the sports commentator world- isnt it?

I thought maybe to say that someone got more than he deserved because he was black might be a little offensive. However, isnt that what the African American community is all about - in the form of affirmative action? I think it is disingenuous to ask for rights (you wouldnt normally get) because of your skin color and then to cry foul when someone dare says that a black person got something because of their skin color.

His statement might be dead wrong, but that alone does not make it offensive.

My guess is that if it had been anybody else than Rush who made the comments it would not have been an issue.

BruceZ
10-02-2003, 10:26 AM
I think it is disingenuous to ask for rights (you wouldnt normally get) because of your skin color and then to cry foul when someone dare says that a black person got something because of their skin color.

Good point. As far as I can tell, being "politically correct" means to refrain from stating that which is painfully obvious to everyone.

MMMMMM
10-02-2003, 10:41 AM
"...being "politically correct" means to refrain from stating that which is painfully obvious to everyone."

Boris
10-02-2003, 11:35 AM
It's not painfully obvious that McNabb is over rated.

Even if he is over rated, it's not painfully obvious that he is over rated because the "media" wants a black QB to succeed.

I guess that means the Rush isn't politically incorrect.

Rushmore
10-02-2003, 11:50 AM
I'll tell you what offends me about Rush Limbaugh's comments.

It's the fact that he was stupid enough to think that he was allowed to say them. Who cares if they are right or wrong? Who cares if it's right or wrong that he's not permitted to say them?

If Rush Limbaugh is supposed to be a prominent voice of the Right, I'd like to think he's not a total imbecile. I have never totally agreed with Limbaugh, nor would I expect to.

But now, I have the understanding that he's not very bright. And that reflects poorly on those of us who would like to maintain credibility and not appear as buffoons by association.

How's that?

John Cole
10-02-2003, 12:04 PM
Bruce,

You are wrong. Oops, I should have refrained. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

angry young man
10-02-2003, 12:13 PM
... isnt that what the African American community is all about ...

Uh, yeah, that's probably not something people are going to agree with. I think the reason you don't understand why his comments are offensive is pretty clear. Incidently several prominent figures in the "African American Community" (including Jesse Jackson [<--Maybe not, I've been presented with information that could convince me he's either changed his tune or my sources were wrong to begin with, still it's not a critical detail] - ed.) are opposed to Affirmative Action stating (correctly) that it's offensive to say minorities need the extra assistance it provides.

Saying that the only reason somebody is regarded highly in his profession is offensive. That's pretty easy to understand. Saying that a journalist is acting without integrity and skewing the truth to serve a liberal bias (hardly the first time Rush has accussed a journalist of doing this) is pretty offensive.

I don't like to call someone a rascist since that's replaced "cannabilistic baby-killer" as the worst thing someone can be accused of; but if the shoe fits....

angry young man
10-02-2003, 12:17 PM
If Rush Limbaugh is supposed to be a prominent voice of the Right

I don't think anyone has done as much harm to the Republican party as Limbaugh has over the past 15 years.

Wake up CALL
10-02-2003, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... isnt that what the African American community is all about ...

Uh, yeah, that's probably not something people are going to agree with. I think the reason you don't understand why his comments are offensive is pretty clear. Incidently several prominent figures in the "African American Community" (including Jesse Jackson) are opposed to Affirmative Action stating (correctly) that it's offensive to say minorities need the extra assistance it provides.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where you got this idea about Jesse Jackson. His modus operandi is holding up major corporations for his personal gain if they refuse to implement affirmative action.

Jesse at Columbia University (http://www.columbia.edu/cu/record/23/10/15.html)

Jesse Defends Affirmative Action (http://www.discriminations.us/storage/001663.html)

Jesse Joins Affirmative Action Rally (http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews/pm9209_20020514.htm)

Jesse says Extend not End Affirmative Action (http://www.inmotionmagazine.com/opin/supreme.html)

And my personal favorite Jesse Extorts Money from Toyota and Others (http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3b72271523d6.htm)

angry young man
10-02-2003, 12:28 PM
I don't recall any interviews where Donovan McNabb requested special attention from the media because he was a black athlete. He hadn't played well and people were discussing it, Steve Young was giving actual information about his play, as was Tom Jackson, Rush could've said that he felt Donovan McNabb was overrated because he'd always been surrounded by a great defense, that might or might not have been true, but he felt compelled to throw his agenda into the show and complaign about the liberal media consciously attempting to overrate McNabb. The phrase "Politicaly Correct" isn't appropriate here, this wasn't an issue of political correctness, this was derriding the integrity of sports commentators, including his co-workers, and blowing off the accomplishments of a very good athlete. Do I think this is as big a deal as it's being made out to be? No, it's just another bit of idiocy from that clown. But I think McNabb has a right to be offended and I think he's been pretty classy about the situation so far.

angry young man
10-02-2003, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty sure he took part in a discussion praising California when it overturned Affirmative Action a couple years back. I'm generally not a fan of his and was surprised to see it so that's why it stuck out in my mind. I think he tends to blow with the wind so he could've just been latching on to the popular opinion in the group while dancing around saying anything concrete about it and using large, incorrectly chosen words, but I'd be surprised if this was all imagined. I named him because he's pretty extreme in his views so I thought the name added punch to the argument but even without him I think the points are valid.

BruceZ
10-02-2003, 12:41 PM
It would make sense that Jesse Jackson would want to oppose affirmative action. There's no money in affirmative action, the money is in extorting money from companies by threatening to expose them for not hiring enough minorities. If affirmative action were implemented across the board, he wouldn't be able to line his own pockets anymore.

BruceZ
10-02-2003, 12:43 PM

J.R.
10-02-2003, 01:25 PM
I think its offensive to suggest that the media wants to see a black quaterback suceed when the best, toughest football player in the NFL over the past few years is a black quaterback in Tenessee.

It was stupid of Rush to make this Black/White issue. It shows his ignorance, in that there are many black quaterbacks who succeed today, most notably the best quaterback in the league, Steve McNair. The Eagles won with 3 Ds: Defense, Duce and Donovan. Whether McNabb was overrated or got more credit than he deserved, it had nothing to do with race, but with the composition of the team around him. Therein lies his fault- if he thinks the media overrated McNabb, then fine, but don't say it "was becuase they wanted to see a black quaterback suceed"."

That's ignorant, and shows he is still acutely concious of the disproven stereotype that blacks can't play quaterback. That has been refuted over and over again. The media has no reason to promote a black quaterback, as the top two passers in the league are black and the player with the best selling jersey who serves as coverboy on the most popular football video game is a black quaterback. Rush suggesting that race is an issue reveals his racially motivated way of thinking, in that he attributed race as the motivation for the media's coverage of McNabb when the evidence is clear that the race of a quaterback is no longer an issue. McNabb's response that he thought we were over that reveals the prevailing sentiment- race is not an issue yet Rush decided to try make it one. Professional sports are color blind on the field (perhaps a different story lies on the sidelines)- there's too much money at stake for affirmative action- you either get it done or somebody else will take your place.

McNabb, Culpepper, McNair, and Vick are amongst the best at their position, Aaron Brooks is quality (although having a tough year), Quincy Carter looks promising, Jeff Blake has been decent with poor teams, Kordell, while embattled in a losing situation, has been successful and dominated the league years ago, Byron Leftwich holds a franchises' future hopes. Black quaterbacks don't need a champion in the media, there actions on the field speak for themselves.

David Steele
10-02-2003, 01:42 PM

Gamblor
10-02-2003, 02:05 PM
I always thought it to be prudent (there's the Bush Sr in me) to consider politically correct as just that: politically correct.

Say whatever it is that will get the most people to vote for you.

Suppose I am running for office. Politically, it is incorrect to call black people negros. They are offended by such a term and will not vote for you. It is politically correct to refer to them as whatever it is they prefer to be called

adios
10-02-2003, 02:13 PM
"Suppose I am running for office. Politically, it is incorrect to call black people negros. They are offended by such a term and will not vote for you."

They don't vote for Republicans anyways. As a block of voters Afro-Americans vote 90%+ Democratic at least that's the statistic I last was privvy to.

Boris
10-02-2003, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought maybe to say that someone got more than he deserved because he was black might be a little offensive. However, isnt that what the African American community is all about - in the form of affirmative action?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a member of the KKK?

Rushmore
10-02-2003, 03:24 PM

Utah
10-02-2003, 05:15 PM
Am I incorrect to believe that a (or replace "a" with "the") major platform initiative of the black community (the phrase "black community" as a proxy for the major black organizations - e.g. NAACP) is affirmative action? If I am correct, that means that the black community is saying "treat us differently because we are black"? How then can a comment like "he is being treated differently because he is black" be offensive to them?

I think the reason you don't understand why his comments are offensive is pretty clear. Please explain your comment. of course, I have no idea what it means to be black, since I am not. However, that does not mean I come from a position of ignorance. I sat on the board of directors of one of the largest Black Community groups in the Twin Cities. I did this for two reasons, 1) to help and 2) to understand. Unfortunately, I resigned because this group (and I sense the black community in general) was not about being a part of society. Instead, it was about "treat us special because we are black". I would be happy to hear about your similar experiences with the black community.

Certainly there are many blacks that are against affirmative action. However, as a whole, that is not the case at all and I have never heard of a major movement in that community to abolish A.A.

Saying that the only reason somebody is regarded highly in his profession is offensive. He didnt say that did he? He said he was overrated because of a bias.

I don't like to call someone a rascist since that's replaced "cannabilistic baby-killer" as the worst thing someone can be accused of; but if the shoe fits.... Again, please explain. Are you calling me a racist? If so, define. If you are going to call me one, you should have the decency to back up your argument.

Utah
10-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Please let me rephrase before you tie yourself up in knots with indignity.

The most important push/initiative/commonality of the black community is the idea of affirmative action.

Am I correct? Possibly (at least I think I am). Anything racist about my view? Absolutely not.

Utah
10-02-2003, 05:38 PM
think its offensive to suggest that the media wants to see a black quaterback suceed when the best, toughest football player in the NFL over the past few years is a black quaterback in Tenessee. Stupid maybe, but why offensive?

It was stupid of Rush to make this Black/White issue. yes and no. Stupid? yes. However, he was brought on the show to stir stuff up. The show was practiced the day before and everyone at ESPN knew it was coming.

Rush suggesting that race is an issue reveals his racially motivated way of thinking, What exactly does that mean? Football today is one of the most racially charged areas. To bring in a racial issue to this area seems like fair game. Is there something wrong with being racially motivated? If so, what about the NAACP?

This just came into my head - The fact that the NFL is requiring owners to interview black coaches is a million times more inflamitory than anything Rush said. This requirement is basically saying to owners, you are a bunch of racist and you cant be trusted to hire the best candidates. Where is the outrage? Additionally, should Steve Mariucci be outraged that the Lions got fined, since it implies that he might have got the job because he was white and the owners are racists?

J.R.
10-02-2003, 06:11 PM
I think its offensive because it implies black athletes get/need/deserve hyping, when that isn't the case. It demeans the onfield success of every black quaterback, and unfairly and inaccurately tarnishes McNabb's reputation. In a nutshell, I think he said that you ain't that good, you're just black and you get extra credit because you are black. That's wrong, unfounded and demeaning. Rush should demonstrate why McNabb's play does not justify his reputation, not take a cheap shot and interject his political ideaology.

Whether ESPN knew it was comming or not does not make it appropriate, that just speaks to ESPN's culpability.

I don't like the NFL's mandatory interview rule and don't think Matt Millen did anything wrong. Yes, there are racial issues in football as I alluded to in my orginal post.

That said, Rush was wrong to take a cheap shot at McNabb.

By racially motivated way of thinking, I am referring to the fact that a discussion of an athlete's performance should be color-blind, and is on sports commentary shows like NFL Countdown. Let us judge McNabb by his on field successes/failures, and not try to cheapen his performances by saying its because he gets special privilieges because he is black, because he doesn't.

There is nothing wrong with discussing/ debating race. But I don't think its right to disparge athletes by saying their reputation is in part due to their skin color. I think Rush took a cheap shot, and made an unfounded allegation. I think Rush was disingenuous in stating that the media wanted a black quaterback to succeed, because as an NFL analyst on TV he has to be aware, as any casual observor of the NFL is, of the great and unquestioned success of numerous black quaterbacks. I think Rush's comemnts were offensive to McNabb and every other black quaterback in the NFL who worked hard and sacrificed mightly to be in the respective positions they now hold.

Utah
10-02-2003, 06:47 PM
I think its offensive because it implies black athletes get/need/deserve hyping Funny how it is offensive to the atheletes but needed for the coaches. I love this comment because it speaks to the larger issue of AA. Why are black students not offended that they get/need/deserve "hyping"? In fact, they ask for it.

I'll admit, this is the first post that made me see it a little differently. I see why it is a cheap shot since it was unsubstantiated. However, I still dont think it is a major offense and I dont think it deserved to cost a guy his job. No doubt, it wouldn't have had it not been Rush Limbaugh.

Anyway, good post.

Rushmore
10-02-2003, 06:56 PM
Ironically, only one of the most feared and, ultimately disreputed African-American leaders is (was) an opponent of Affirmative Action.

Louis Farrakhan espouses (-ed) "self-reliance."

Now that he has been marginalized, I guess it'll be up to someone else to take up the cause.

P.S. Farrakhan's motives, although positive from a black perspective, were admittedly inspired by his disdain for the white establishment, which seems perfectly reasonable.

And we all know that this is the most unforgivable sin in America. In America, it is unacceptable to hate or assess any race or religion's collective motive. It is also unacceptable to disapprove of any part of any culture. Excuse me, Culture. Whew, that was close! Almost lost my American citizenship.

Boris
10-02-2003, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The most important push/initiative/commonality of the black community is the idea of affirmative action.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I thought this way I'd probably join the KKK.

MMMMMM
10-03-2003, 12:04 PM
(excerpt)

It is one of the sad signs of our times that a furor was created because Rush Limbaugh expressed an opinion as to why a particular quarterback seemed to him to be over-rated. In his view, it was because the powers that be in professional football were anxious to have a star quarterback who was black.

If this was a criticism of anybody, it was a criticism of the powers that be in the National Football League. Nevertheless, people have gone ballistic, just as if he had criticized blacks as a race. But you have to twist the truth like a pretzel to reach that conclusion.

Rush's resignation from ESPN may stop the dogs from barking at his heels and all this may soon be forgotten -- but it shouldn't be. Hyper-censorship about anything in any way involving race is a danger to this whole society, on matters far more weighty than football.

When the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan first warned of the social dangers in the decline of black families back in the 1960s, and called for government policies to help deal with these dangers, he was attacked viciously for saying something that everyone now recognizes as true because the problem has grown even worse than it was when he issued his warning.

The denunciation and demonization of Pat Moynihan marked a major turning point in public discussions of racial issues. From then on, the test of what you said was no longer whether it was true but whether it was politically correct. This silenced the faint hearted -- which is to say, most of academia and virtually all of the media...

...Facts can be ignored but their consequences cannot be escaped. If the facts don't matter, this means that the people who are going to have to pay those consequences don't matter.

None of those who demonized Daniel Patrick Moynihan has paid any price. But the black community has paid a terrible price because the problem he tried to point out was swept under the rug. Broken homes and children raising children have produced poisonous consequences, from educational failures to drugs and murder.

A highly developed and highly rewarded racial grievance industry benefits from its ability to intimidate, silence and extort. But there is always a price to be paid. That price is paid by American society as a whole, but especially by minority communities that the grievance hustlers claim to be helping...

...The question of the validity of what was said has already been lost in the shuffle. In a sense, that doesn't matter. What matters enormously is whether or not people lose the freedom to say what they think. That loss is a loss to all of us, those who agree and those who disagree.

Even wrong ideas have a contribution to make, when they provoke open discussions and investigations that end up with our knowing and understanding more than we knew or understood before. People's lives are being saved today by medicines based on a knowledge of chemistry that developed out of alchemy, a centuries-old crazy idea of turning lead into gold.

What contribution has the enforced silence of censorship ever made? (end excerpt)

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/ts20031003.shtml

andyfox
10-03-2003, 01:46 PM
For example, that our government has always been, and continues to be, run by liars?

Mr. Limbaugh sees nothing wrong with calling feminist nazis. Is this painfully obvious?

MMMMMM
10-03-2003, 06:14 PM
andy you are not providing good examples. Callng feminists (in general) Nazis is not politically incorrect it is simply incorrect.

IrishHand
10-03-2003, 07:18 PM
No...I'm pretty sure that calling feminists "Nazis" is both politically incorrect and incorrect.

Regardless, for outrageous comments, his McNabb thing doesn't hold a candle to Limbaugh throwing out the nugget that Tampa Bay can be passed on all day long.

BruceZ
10-03-2003, 07:36 PM
I think to the extent that it refers to something people can identify with, the meaning is obvious and thus it is politically incorrect to point it out. It references something some people would rather ignore and pretend doesn't exist. If it had no meaning whatsoever, then it couldn't really bother anyone because it would just be dismissed as ridiculous. It would be as if I said "that fascist andyfox".

MMMMMM
10-03-2003, 08:23 PM
I was assuming (perhaps mistakenly) that very few of today's feminists have characteristics that would call to mind Nazism (I don't follow current trends in feminism so I wouldn't really know, and I don't see anything about them in the news these days). If however I'm mistaken and a goodly percentage of today's feminists do have characteristics that might call to mind Nazism (e.g. an extremely militant attitude), then maybe...?

adios
10-06-2003, 07:31 AM
"When the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan first warned of the social dangers in the decline of black families back in the 1960s, and called for government policies to help deal with these dangers, he was attacked viciously for saying something that everyone now recognizes as true because the problem has grown even worse than it was when he issued his warning."

I felt of little of this myself in my poll regardingb black male role models. Apparently it is politically incorrect to mention someone's race when mentioning their name and giving a take on their circumstances.

adios
10-10-2003, 03:43 PM
He must have been high when he made his statement regarding McNabb /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Rush Limbaugh Admits Addiction to Painkillers (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20031010/ts_nm/people_limbaugh_dc&e=1)

Rush Limbaugh Admits Addiction to Painkillers
29 minutes ago Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh told his listeners on Friday he is addicted to painkillers and that he would immediately check himself into a drug treatment program.

The disclosure came during the nationally syndicated broadcast of his widely followed radio program.

"Immediately following this broadcast, I am checking myself into a treatment center for the next 30 days to once and for all break the hold this highly addictive medication has on me," he said.

The revelation comes just over a week after Limbaugh resigned as a football commentator on ESPN amid harsh criticism for comments he made suggesting Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated by the media because he is black.