PDA

View Full Version : hand analysis

stoxtrader
10-02-2003, 09:25 AM
.50/1 at party, typical game.

I get A /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif in BB.

3 limpers, SB calls I check. 5 to flop for 5 SB

3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

4 checks to button who bets, SB calls, what do i do? easy fold?

thanks.

hockey1
10-02-2003, 09:30 AM
Looks to me like one or both of them are betting their A. If you had a better kicker I'd consider calling -- or better yet raising -- but as it the best you can reasonably hope for here is a split pot. I'd fold.

Festus22
10-02-2003, 09:40 AM
You're getting 7:1 on your gutshot and combine that with the backdoor nut flush draw, I think it's an easy call.

Mike Gallo
10-02-2003, 09:41 AM
4 checks to button who bets, SB calls, what do i do? easy fold?

I would raise.

You can tell me why.

SirRaleigh
10-02-2003, 10:15 AM
I would probably just call for 1 small bet on the flop and see the turn card but I have not problem with folding. If it is a spade or 2 I would continue. I am trying to figure out why raising would be good. To me rasing might force out a good porition of passive flop checkers who will likly call 1 bet but not two, also giving button chance to raise if he really has a 3 or 4 or over card flush draw. Also, I think the pot odds are not as good as you think because some of the outs like an A might get kicked out and a straight could complete someones flush.

Noodles
10-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Would you raise as you think the button is chancing it with high cards or free carding and your raise will knock out some of the others and you can also see if he 3 bets.
I thought it was an easy call but yes the raise seems a more advanced play can you explain?

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-02-2003, 10:36 AM
Folding isn't terrible, and calling is the worst choice. The button could be betting with anything. Raising here represents a 3 and should get at least the 2 players between you and the button to fold. If you don't get reraised, 19 of the 47 unseen cards help you or scare your opponents.

Mike Gallo
10-02-2003, 10:47 AM
I thought it was an easy call but yes the raise seems a more advanced play can you explain?

Kurn gave a solid answer of why raising becomes the superior play.

The button will bet quite often in an attempt to steal the pot. With an overcard, a backdoor nut flush draw and an inside straight draw a check raise semi bluff will work often enough to show a profit. Not to mention you might push out a better Ace.

When faced between raising calling or folding, I usually choose between folding and raising.

Festus22
10-02-2003, 10:59 AM
Please elaborate.

I assume your play is an attempt to win the pot by making a turn and/or river bet and your opponents folding. Your outs for making the best hand are fairly slim here but reasonable. If the game is filled with typical calling stations, they are going to call you down. You're going to have to show the best hand to win - period (remember, this is Party $0.5/1). I just don't see how a semi-bluff raise out of position accomplishes that. Don't you want to have a look at your longshot draw as cheap as possible?

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-02-2003, 11:28 AM
I assume your play is an attempt to win the pot by making a turn and/or river bet and your opponents folding.

Actually, the play is an attempt to call the button to task on his bet. At most limits, there are players that will bet any flop that's checked to them in last position. They will often fold to a raise. I doubt the SB will fold, but since there are so many cards that either make my hand or give me more outs, I'm willing to play with him based upon the fact that I have position on him if it gets to be heads up.

If you judge that there is nearly zero chance that the 2 players left to act behind you will fold for 2 bets and that the button will not fold overcards to a raise, then folding is better than calling since your call does not close the action and there may be a checkraise behind you and you really can't consider an A to be a clean out.

You're out of position on this hand, so the best way to win it is to take control.