PDA

View Full Version : Value Bet on the river (?)

Chris Nichelson
10-02-2003, 12:11 AM
20-40 at Hawaiian Gardens.

I am one in front of the cutoff with AdTd. One early position limper and the guy two to my right.

I raise, get called by the big blind and both limpers.

Flop 5s3dTs.

Checked to me, I bet, big blind raises--two cold calls.

I three bet and everyone calls.

Turn is the 7h checked to me, I bet, everyone calls.

River is the Jc checked to me. Should I bet the river?

Ginogino
10-02-2003, 01:08 AM
Chris:
I think you can bet safely here -- unless you're playing against a super tricky player. Big blind's flop 3-bet followed by his passivity afterwards, pretty well indicates that he has a Ten with kicker problems. I'd guess T-9 or T-8, maybe suited, maybe not. The other players have some kind of draw. Yes, there are some possible straight draws that got there, but the betting on the flop ought to be pretty hard on low straight draws. More imp0ortant, though, is that it's extremely hard for most players to go for a check-raise on the river (or do your opponents think you're such a wild and aggressive player that you could never check down the river?)

Knowledge of the playing styles of the active players would be helpful, as it always is, and could have a major impact on deciding what's the right play. On balance, though, I'd think you could profitably bet the river for value.

How'd you do?

Gino

Bandorn
10-02-2003, 10:40 AM
With no nowledge of the players. But being they called it this far, ive no reason they will not continue. Check it. Theres to many players still in the hand to value bet a lone pair of tens, with a rivered overcard. With 3 players in and this flop, I think someones playing suited overcards.

FletchJr.
10-02-2003, 05:21 PM
wow, 2 cold calls on that flop after you showed preflop strengh, either ones got Axs and the others got something like KJs or Kqs I'd love to be in your game. I wouldn't value bet there. I just don't feel you have the best.