PDA

View Full Version : ahh too many tough online games~! strategy questions

FletchJr.
10-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Lately i've noticed that lot of the online games are getting ultra tight. There are definetly some tough players out there who are taking advantage of this by semi bluffing and flat out bluffing more. This is affecting my game a bit because i'm almost becoming woried that the players are always making a play on me, and as a result im pushing my hands harder at sometimes when in the long run the best play is probably just to lay it down.One common example is calling down with only ak high. sure it works sometimes, but it's got to be a losing play in the long run.
Can anyone give me some pointers when i should be making these call downs and when i should be droping on the turn. i know it all depends and takes tons of experience. I think it's similar question to "should i bet the turn or not?". What's some helpful things/factors when faced with these tough decisions.
Another tough one is what to do with a Ace-weak agasint some player who you are about 80% sure is trying to steal your blind. Should you flat call and try to hit your ace and then induce the whole way. should you call the whole way with only ace high unless the board looks too scary. should you reraise preflop and try to take the aggressive action and then lead out on the flop and turn??
Well just some tough situations that come up in my game regularly. Please comment on what you do, or even your thought process when in these situations.

FletchJr.
10-02-2003, 05:03 PM
73 views and no responses? please someone tackle this question.
I"m really curious what you guys do with the weak ace in bb when someone's stealing your blinds.

Copernicus
10-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Let him steal it.

DanZ
10-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Well, one strategy is to invite bluffs much more. Check behind on the turn with AK, and sometimes do it with a pair. Then call or raise on the river.

As an aside, you can often tell through good hand reading when the AK has to be no good.

The most obvious cases are when you raise early, their are cold callers, adn there's a Q high flop. If your AK was good before, it is almost certainly not good any more.

In tougher games, people are usually cold calling (incorrectly) with medium pocket pairs or (more correctly) with group 2 suited hands, and sometimes with very big paires as a trap. These group 2 suited hands have a Q in them 2/3rds of the time. Add to this that the Q prevents someone from calling with 2 overcards, and that the Q should be a little scary since it could easily hit you, the opener. Given all this, these boards often indicate that you need not pay off with AK unimproved.

Dan Z.