PDA

View Full Version : 2-4 Internet Hourly Rate Discussion

IlliniRyRy
10-01-2003, 02:57 PM
I've been playing 1-2 and 2-4 on party poker and keeping track of my hourly rate. After 100 hours at 1-2 (playing 2 short handed and one ring game simultaneously), I made a little over $19/hr. I'm not sure how good or accurate that is over the long term, so I'd like to hear thoughts on that. I heard 300 hours of data is supposed to reflect your true hourly rate. Anyway, I've since moved up to 2-4, and played about 40 hours and made $26/hr. I'm playing 3 full games instead of 2 short handed, so its slower, but the games are a lot different too. A bit more aggressive and fewer calling stations in general (although still a ton, obviously). Anyway, I'm starting to convince myself that I could make a living at this. Even if I never moved up, $26/hr, say 6 hours/day and no weekends, that would be about $40,000 a year, which is equivalent to a $54,000 job since its tax free. I'm 23, so I'm not complaining about that. Does anyone keep hourly data for higher limits? How accurate do you think this is and how much proportionally does your hourly rate go down when you move up to higher limits? (i.e. players are tougher, less per hour). Thoughts, comments, suggestions please.

two_dogs
10-01-2003, 04:03 PM
Even if I never moved up, $26/hr, say 6 hours/day and no weekends, that would be about $40,000 a year, which is equivalent to a $54,000 job since its tax free.

What country do you live in?

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-01-2003, 04:06 PM
which is equivalent to a $54,000 job since its tax free.

Not to rain on your parade, but unless you don't live in the US (and the word Illini in your handle leads me to believe you do), it most certainly is taxable income.

AlexZee
10-01-2003, 04:41 PM
A few thoughts...

2 BB/hour per table is currently a sustainable rate for an excellent player on Party's 2/4 game. That would make $24 an hour playing 3 tables.

There's no guarantee the games are going to stay this good though. Many of the fish will eventually get frustrated and not play again, or will wise up and get better.

If you live in the US, you should pay taxes on your winnings. You'll be very glad you did if you ever get auditted. And I would think someone that has $40000 flowing into his bank account every year and no job would have a good chance of being auditted.