PDA

View Full Version : TTH v HP

03-14-2002, 02:38 PM
Using Wilson TTH for about a month. I play pre-flop using the Sklansky groups and strategy. Wilson always says my pre-flop play is too tight and too passive. Why is this?

03-14-2002, 05:01 PM
(The following assumes you're using TTH v4.0)

1) S&M advice is geared towards tough games, and there are different considerations for playing loose/weak games. TTH may have used data to beat average games as opposed to those against really good players. I'm not sure this is entirely the issue, though.

2) The TTH "advisor" is what rates your play, and the advisor can be set to raise and play with 4 different levels of aggression. If you have it set to "almost always raise" then it's gonna penalize your play for not raising as much as it'd like.

3) You are interpreting S&M's tactics incorrectly. Additionally, S&M admit that many of their advised plays are contradictory and you'll have to exercise skill and judgement in chosing how to play certian situations.

4) TTH takes into consideration the # of players at the table, where a raise came from, how many active players in a pot, pot odds, odds of sucking out, the board, your hand, if there was a checkraise and from where, opportune semibluffs, etc. You'd have to be quite a student of S&M to be able to apply all of that on the fly, so it is possible you are simply not interpreting all the factors for correct play.

As an aside, many so-called, self-proclaimed "experts" on this forum say that TTH plays too passively. Will also be interestring to see what changes in TTH v5.0 which is due to come out soon.

So long as you don't take TTH advice as a silver bullet, you can olny learn from it. When you disagre with the advisor stop and consider why and weigh various advantages. Think about the game, bear down, concentrate, endeavor.

03-15-2002, 02:57 AM
When is this supposed to come out? I currently do not own any version, but was thinking of getting it. If 5.0 is due out soon though, I can wait.

03-15-2002, 08:21 AM
I emailed Bob Wilson about this recently and he told me V5 is due out in May.

If you purchase the old version at most one month prior to the new release you'll get a free upgrade. Two months prior and you'll get a 50% discount on the upgrade.

Cheers

03-15-2002, 09:18 AM
I recently purchased Turbo 7 Card Stud from Wilson Software (3.0). About a month later I got a package in the mail, Version 4.0 was sent to me free. Now that's SERVICE! I will be purchasing TTH soon.

03-15-2002, 10:53 AM

03-15-2002, 12:37 PM
I've played it using the S&M guidelines as well and have not found what you are saying to be the case. In fact just the opposite.

I find the advisor to be just slightly tighter than S&M recommends. I also thought the advisor was penalizing me for playing too aggressive. I've since been reading and rereading HPFAP and have come to the conclusion that I am playing too aggressive.

Fourth Street -- bet with no outs and check with outs.

River -- bet/raise when you are sure you have the best hand, and check with a possible flush or straight on the board.

I made these two adjustments on TTH and my aggressiveness dropped a lot.

After a few thousand hands my "When to Play" is at 94% with me being about 25% to loose pre-flop. My "How to play" is at 96% with me being a little to aggressive.

I've been practicing buying-free-cards, check-raising, and bluffing. These throw the statisitics wayoff.

03-22-2002, 07:56 PM
TTH says to raise UTG with AJo. I think that is both looose and aggressive.

Gary Walker

03-22-2002, 09:03 PM
I don't see how you can make that statement independent of knowing the game conditions.

Having said that I'm sure that for many people in most games its correct or neutral to muck AJo UTG.

04-01-2002, 01:46 AM
It depends on what lineup you are playing against.