PDA

View Full Version : Raise with QJs Preflop?

squiffy
10-01-2003, 12:30 PM
If I recall correctly Lee Jones and Phil Helmut do not recommend raising preflop with QJs from any position.

But I read that with 9 opponents AKo will win 17.2% of the time against 9 opponents holding random hands, TT will win 17.2% of the time against 9 opponents holding random hands, and QJs will win 17.1% of the time. If these statistics are accurate. Then why wouldn't QJs be a raising hand preflop????

According to this info QJs will win 60.3% of the time heads up against a random opponent and 44.1% of the time against two opponents.

Is it that QJ has a mediocre value against just a few opponents? So that you want to smooth call and keep as many players in the pot as possible?

Nate tha' Great
10-01-2003, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I recall correctly Lee Jones and Phil Helmut do not recommend raising preflop with QJs from any position.

But I read that with 9 opponents AKo will win 17.2% of the time against 9 opponents holding random hands, TT will win 17.2% of the time against 9 opponents holding random hands, and QJs will win 17.1% of the time. If these statistics are accurate. Then why wouldn't QJs be a raising hand preflop????

[/ QUOTE ]

How a hand fares against 9 random opponents is almost irrelevant. For one thing, you'll never get nine opponents (even at Party); for another thing, the opponents that you do get are not playing a random selection of hands.

But, it is true, QJs is a relatively stronger hand against more opponents than fewer, which is why I think Jones and Hellmuth don't recommend raising with it. You want to keep people involved for your flush and straight draws; also, QJ is rather vulnerable if isolated by a reraise.

The only circumstances in which you'd consider raising with QJs are, in my opinion:

- When you're on the button, or possibly in one of the blinds, and there *are* a large number of callers like 5-6, and you want to create odds for people to make their second best hand in case that you do flop something big (this is an HEFAP play).

- When you're on the button and everyone has folded to you, it's a reasonable steal-raise hand.

Festus22
10-01-2003, 12:40 PM
I raise with Q-Js (and J-10s for that matter) in LP after several (4+) limpers. These are excellent multi-way pot hands to play, especially with position.

Mike Gallo
10-01-2003, 12:50 PM

What do you think about raising with this hand?

If I have two limpers to me on the button, I usually raise with JQ suited. Does this make me wrong because two authors tell me not, I do not know, I will let others decide.

Do not perceive everything you read as "gospel" Eventually you will form your own opinions and ideas based on the condtions at the table.

Raise with it. See what happens. Post the hand and take it from there.

Do not play too rigid.

Dynasty
10-01-2003, 04:41 PM
In late position, after many limpers, you should regularly be raising with any two suited cards bigger than Ten.

squiffy
10-01-2003, 05:00 PM
Damn! You really are AGGRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I should be too!!!!!!!!!

GuyOnTilt
10-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Okay squiffy,

After reading a few of your posts and responses to posts, it looks like you're a mechanical player. You talk a lot about the odds of a preflop holding winning against x amount of random hands, about different author's classification of hands, and so on. You really need to get beyond all these technicalities if you want to become a better player.

QJs is raisable, but not because it beats random holdings x% of the time. From LP after multiple limpers, I'll raise QJs, JTs, KJ, KQs, KTs, T9s, and maybe even a few other suited hands. And the reason for these raises is never because I have a high likely-hood of winning the hand. There are two main reaons I'll raise in these spots: 1) to buy the button, and 2) to tie people into the pot.

I also open-raise QJs after 4 or more fold to my right. Others may disagree with this, but this is standard for me.

Dynasty
10-01-2003, 05:22 PM
The reason to make that raise is to build a big pot with a lot of players. Try experimenting with it on the Button or Cutoff. Start with just KQs, KJs, and QJs so you're comfortable with it.