PDA

View Full Version : Did I Play theTrips on the Flop Wrong in a Raised Pot?

Utah
09-30-2003, 11:32 PM
1/2 Pokerstars NL
I have 250 and all players involved have around 150

What mistakes did I make of this hand??

I am UTG with 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I open limp

Cutoff raises to 8
Button Calls
BB calls
I call
About $25 in the pot.

Flop is: 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, J /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB Bets $10
I raise him an additional $50
Everyone folds.

I think I played this terribly. I was in-between the better and the preflop raiser. The BB made a small "test" bet. I think if I call here and the preflop raiser has an overpair - he will reraise and I have a chance to get him or the original flop raiser comitted.

The way I played it screamed trips and I blew everyone out.

On the other hand, if I simply call and there is not another raise and I let others in cheaply, the hand gets tricky as any card greater than a 6 could cause me problems.

Any thoughts?

crockpot
09-30-2003, 11:55 PM
i like a call here, primarily because the preflop raiser may read the $10 bet as weak and make a play for the pot if he has a hand like AK or AQ, or even a "real hand" like a big pair or AJ. i think the risk of giving a gutshot a cheap card is worth taking in the hopes that you get the cutoff to raise the flop with one of these hands or an overpair, and then you can reraise all in.

i do agree that a lot of cards can come off on the turn to hurt you. if the player behind you had not raised preflop i would be in favor of a big raise here.

1800GAMBLER
10-01-2003, 12:05 AM
Damn. Wait untill players start slowplaying and trapping you after that it will be all you want to do.

The preflop raise should either have an overpair (which you love) or two over cards + gutshot draw (which is really just a gutshot), either way you want him in and the BB betting with his hand on the turn, or checking it and incouraging the preflop raiser to bluff this large pot now.

Ignatius
10-01-2003, 08:00 AM
You flop raise is not "terrible" but the best play with two connected cards in the play zone on board. With 3 opponents who called a preflop raise there there will be all kinds of str8 draws out there and any 7, 8, 9, Q, K or A (that's more than half the deck) can kill your hand and cost you your whole stack so you need to deny your opponents correct implied odds.
Given that the BB only made a small probing bet, your raise does not represent much more than top pair, so you would still get action from overpairs, AJ, KQ, and JT and maybe even weaker hands like KJ. The only hands you drive out by your raise are gutshots (who would be correct to overcall the $10 bet) and tens w/ overcards (who would not have given you any more action, anyway).

Zag
10-01-2003, 09:24 AM
I agree with Ignatius -- I like the raise -- and for the same reasons. Half the deck will make you scared to bet your hand, so do so now.

However, I would have raised a little less. Your raise was a little more than a pot-sized raise, and I would have aimed for about 2/3 pot-sized. However, this depends on your style overall. Fundamentally, the raise should be exactly the same amount that you would raise on the same flop (after sensing weakness in the opening bettor) with KQ or AT.

Another point in your post. You say "BB Bets $10. I raise him an additional $50." I have found it much better to think of it as "BB bets $10, I raise to $60." This is, of course, the same amount; the difference is that it is easier to keep track of the size of the pot when you think of it this way. When the round is over, you just multiply the the final amount times the number of people calling, and add it to the pot from the previous round. (If anyone drops out after betting some amount, their amount is added to the pot immediately when they drop out.)