PDA

View Full Version : marginal situations

ccwhoelse?
09-30-2003, 08:41 PM
i just wanted to know the situations when you should or should not play marginal or slightly better than marginal situations, if at all.

what factors come into play, like how deep the money is etc?

how can you determine EV in no-limit situations?

1800GAMBLER
09-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Ok, i'm just confused. You are going to have to give examples of what you mean.

'In limit i'm thinking of raising, in no limit i'm thinking of folding.'

ccwhoelse?
09-30-2003, 09:41 PM
marginal as in slightly +EV.

i wanted to say EV, but then i realized that i was unsure if a certain EV in limit would be the same EV in no-limit.

by marginal, i really meant marginally +EV in a limit game.

1800GAMBLER
09-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Ok, i'm still confused but let me take a shot.

If something is +EV - positive expected value - in a NL game, it means that making the play a 1000 times will show a profit.

Now, the difference in FL and NL lies in pot odds compared to implied odds. To be +EV in no limit you'd have to take into account both.

I'm struggling to see how a +EV play in fixed limit couldn't be a +EV play in no limit though.

In no limit you could take a play that would be -EV all the time and due to implied odds it would become a +EV play. Straight draw were you aren't getting the odds to draw but figure you are up against a set.

I'd take every marginal +EV limit play possible in a NL game since if it's +EV regarding drawing i can make it +EV even more.

EV is in a lot more places than just drawing hands though. When deciding to call on the river when getting 10:1 will involve EV. When deciding to bluff.

So if you are still confused give an example.

Hope this helped.

Zag
09-30-2003, 10:55 PM
I think that the calculations for EV are very different between limit and NL and PL, such that a play that is +EV in one might be -EV in another. The reasons are the implied odds AND the reverse implied odds can change things completely.

For example, in fixed limit, you would never cold call a raise preflop with 67s. In PL or NL, if the stacks are deep and you have position on the field, it is often the right play. The reason is that in fixed limit, you are putting in two small bets with in the hope of a monster where you might win 10 to 15 small bets -- at best 6 or 7 times your preflop investment. In PL or NL, if you strike a monster, you could win 20 times your preflop investment. So the call is -EV in limit, but +EV in PL.

And the reverse can happen: Say you have KQs, the flop is KJx, and an aggressive player bets into you. In a limit, you would certainly raise, either on the flop or the turn. In no limit, you would think seriously about folding -- it is just too expensive to be outkicked, which is what you probably are if you raise back and him and he keeps playing.