PDA

View Full Version : Turbo 7CS8, What is this algorithm thinking?

03-10-2002, 02:31 AM
Mr. Wilson,

I love your software. BUT, I do not understand the algorithm for raising with rough lows in 7CS/8. Here are some examples.

xx/3d Bring in

xx/5s fold

xx/4c fold

xx/Tc fold

xx/5c Call

Ad,6d/ 8h - me

xx/6c

xx/7c

I check the Advice screen:

Recommend: Raise

position: late, few in

dead cards: A-8 range, 5 dead.

With 7 low cards on board and only and 8-6 low, how can it recommend a raise? A steal does not seem to make sense with the 8 as a door card. With the Ace up I could see it. And 5 dead cards seems high. What am I missing here? Is there something new for me to learn?

Another example on fourth street:

xx/4c2h

xx/9hAd bet

xx/6sQc fold

xx/6c2s call

8s4d/6d3c -me

xx/Th fold on 3rd

xx/Ks fold on 3rd

xx/5s fold on 3rd

The little warning hand shows up on the call button and I check the Advice screen:

8 low, no A, mix suit, no str draw.

Recommend: Raise

position: mid

opponents: 3

dead cards: 4

Why would you raise with a 86 low with a 42 and a 62 on board? With 4 dead cards: A,2,2,5 gone it looks pretty dismal. I think a call or a fold would be best. By the way the advisor recommended a call on 3rd St, which I don't feel comfortable with either.

Thanks for your response,

Keith O

03-11-2002, 03:23 PM
it may have seen your 8 as the high card on the board and raised on the basis of that. I'm sure it's not that simple, but could have something to do with it.

03-11-2002, 05:25 PM
Hand 1. You want to get heads-up against the 5, if possible, while also seeing if the bring in has a hand. 5's doorcard chances of pairing have dropped, his clubs are shot if he's looking for them, and if he had much of a low, he would have raised with the best low card left. If only he calls, he's checking to you on 4th st almost every time he improves in either direction, allowing you to get to 5th street cheap if you so choose. Your A68 has much more chance to improve high than his standard holding, and with all the low cards dead, chances are he'll brick 4th st and fold a good portion of the time. Obviously, if he folds right away, that's great too.

Hand 2. This one's a little trickier. First, 42 was the bring-in, and is probably a bit weak. Raising, makes him call two bets, and if he's doing that, you know he has a hand, and you can get out on 5th unless the situation improves. A9 may very well have 2 pair, being that a 9 doorcard usually only calls either A99, AA9 & KK9(which is usually a 3rd st raise) or a 3 flush with a couple of littles. 62 is a bit of a problem, however, you are again taking positional advantage by raising. A9 will most likely check to you on 5th st, and may even knock out your only apparent low competitor who may be drawing better with a reraise on 4th, which would be very good for you, especially if you can straighten out. The initial call looks ok to me too, if a bit weak; you're two-gapped for a straight, the weak diamond draw was completely live, and you had a cheap crack at snagging low end of a 5 way started pot.

There's my two cents,(Possibly overpriced)