PDA

View Full Version : $15-$30 at the Borgata

Philuva
09-30-2003, 04:26 PM
Checked out the Borgata last night while in Philly for work. Very nice room, altough not run that well.

Anyway, here is what I thought was my most interesting hand:

Table was fairly loose passive.

3 limpers to me in MP and I call with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Tough Player (TP) to my immediate left raises. Button calls 2. Blinds call along with everyone else. 8 players to flop with 8 BB's.

Flop is 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Checked to me. I check. TP bets. 3 players fold and 3 other players call back to me. I check-raise. TP calls along with 3 other players. 5 of us to the turn with 13 BB's in the pot.

Turn is T /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

It gets checked to me. I bet out. TP raised. Everyone else folded. I called. 2 to the turn with 17 BB's in the pot.

River is a 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I checked. TP bet. I called the 18 BB pot.

1. How was the flop check-raise?
2. How was the turn bet?
3. How was the river call?

Thanks,
Phil

Ulysses
09-30-2003, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. How was the flop check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. Your AdTd is in good shape against the field here and building a nice multi-way pot is better than getting isolated by tough PFR.

[ QUOTE ]
2. How was the turn bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. You can easily have the best hand here. TP could easily have a worse hand than you and could easily raise w/ that worse hand, which would be great, since he may well get a better hand than yours to fold. This is one of those spots where I wouldn't really mind any of the possible outcomes from a bet.

[ QUOTE ]
3. How was the river call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. I'd call against anyone here, but it's a super-easy call against TP.

ThingDo
10-01-2003, 02:39 AM
As I have never played limits this high I hardly expect my opinion here to be respected in any way ( which is probably a good thing. ), but I think you played the hand perfectly. I'd also expect that its highly possible that you win this showdown as I think its possible that he has exactly KQd ,and the turn gave him an open ender. All in all I think your checkraise was perfect your turn bet was perfect and your river call was perfect. Well played regardless of results.

DocHollyday
10-01-2003, 09:12 AM
Very nice play. As far as I can see, there's absolutely no mistake at all.

Can you post the results? Did you get the pot?

hutz
10-01-2003, 09:19 AM
Although I could see some merit to a pre-flop raise with three limpers to you in MP, you played the hand exactly as I would have (which therefore means you likely have a problem on every street).

Coilean
10-01-2003, 12:34 PM
The tough player should have a big pair (probably KK) or AJ, maybe a set of jacks. I would usually play those hands the same way (except with the set I would reraise the flop). Still, having been forced to call the turn with your big draw, you might as well call now that you're on the river in case he blew a fuse or has KdQd.

Philuva
10-02-2003, 01:39 AM
TP had pocket Jacks to take it down.

Thanks for all the responses.

-Phil

MrGo
10-02-2003, 03:45 AM
I like your raise on the flop. You have 4 players in for 1 bet before you raise. Get the money in on a draw.

I feel you played the turn and river correct as well.

nummerfire
10-02-2003, 08:58 AM
I see the reasons for the turn bet.

But why is it so likely, that a pair of tens is the best hand. The TP could have overpair or AJ suited. (Or some kind of set).

And do you really want people out with your flush draw. The only reason I can see is to clean up your A outs.

My play here would be to check, hope for the TP to bet and then call or checkraise depending on the number of callers.

Kim

Paluka
10-02-2003, 09:23 AM
Your checkraise the flop and bet the turn plan doesn't quite work if the pre-flop raiser has a real hand, and we see why on the turn. His raise of your bet not only made you pay twice as much for your draw, but also shut out the rest of the field. Were you still planning on betting the turn if you didn't make a pair?

Philuva
10-02-2003, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Were you still planning on betting the turn if you didn't make a pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the TP just called the flop-checkraise. I put him on either overcards or a set. I think he makes it 3 bets with an overpair. So when I picked the pair to go with my flush draw, I thought betting was the best option as it might pick up the pot there or have some of the calling stations still in the hand calling very thin. I thought the pot was already big enough to try and win it right there.

When TP raised the turn, I thought he either had the set of Jacks or a hand like KQs. Hence, my calling down afterwards when I didn't improve.

[ QUOTE ]
Your checkraise the flop and bet the turn plan doesn't quite work if the pre-flop raiser has a real hand, and we see why on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess that was a chance I was willing to take. I wasn't totally convinced he had a real hand. So I thought I might get him to fold a hand like AK or AQ. But at the same time, should I really worried about this getting checked through on the turn? I am not sure and hence the reason for my post.

Paluka
10-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Usually when I'm on a draw in a big pot I like it when it checks around, especially when I have enough of a hand to call one bet on the river so I don't feel like I need to show aggression to have any chance of winning when my draw doesn't get there.