PDA

View Full Version : MLB Playoff Talk

Clarkmeister
09-30-2003, 02:39 PM
I like all the favorites.

Boston crushes the A's.
Yanks cruise over the Twins.
Braves and Giants both lose a game but still emerge.

The ALCS and NLCS both look very competitive and interesting. Assuming all 4 favorites advance, I will be very excited to see these matchups.

Give me Pedro and the BoSox to win it all over Barry and the G-men.

Boris
09-30-2003, 02:43 PM
I posted this earlier:
[It's totally ridiculous] That the Red Sox are favored over the A's in the AL division series. After Martinez, the rest of the Bosox pitchers would be lucky to be a #4 starter on the Oakland staff even with Mulder being injured. Also you might recall the last time Pedro came into Oakland he got spanked for 4 runs and was lucky to escape with only that many. We'll see how he pitches under even greater pressure this time. I'm sure he won't be a scared little biatch, lol.

Mike Gallo
09-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Give me Pedro and the BoSox to win it all over Barry and the G-men.

That means that Boston doesnt have to win again until next century. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bugstud
09-30-2003, 03:28 PM
I like Boston and Minn, Cubs and Giants.

Cubs-Sox series...go Cubs

daryn
09-30-2003, 03:33 PM
pedro's not scared. when he is on, he is unbeatable.

Dynasty
09-30-2003, 03:37 PM
I'm surprised the Sox are being picked by practically everybody. How did they suddently become such big favorites? It'll be interesting how their record-setting offense will perform against the A's excellent pitching. I'll take the Sox because I always do.

The Twins are my pick in the other AL Series (and was before today's game currently in the 7th). Johan Santana showed today why he's going to be (is?) one of the best pitchers in the American League. The Twins played the best baseball in the second half of the season and I expect it to continue.

In the NL, I'll be rooting for the Cubs so they can play my Red Sox in the World Series. But, they're going to have a tough fight against the Braves. That series seems like a toss-up. If I have to pick, I'll take the Cubs..

The Giants are the best team in the NL despite not having home field advantage. The Marlins are going to need some big game performances to win.

Dynasty
09-30-2003, 04:27 PM
Twins win today 3-1. For those who missed the game, you've got to see Shannon Stewart's 9th inning catch of a deep shot to left field.

TJSWAN
09-30-2003, 04:35 PM
It will come down to A's vs. Giants for another Bay Bridge series. Have your earthquake kits handy /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Tim

daryn
09-30-2003, 04:35 PM
right, what a catch. arguably a game winning play.

ohkanada
09-30-2003, 08:55 PM
As a lifetime Twins fan I guess I will pick the Twins /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I lived in RI and have always been partial towards the Red Sox. I do believe with the hitting and Martinez and the A's bad performances I will pick the Sox.

In the National League I am picking SF and the Cubs.

Ken Poklitar

John Gaspar
09-30-2003, 09:44 PM
I like the BoSox and the Twins in the AL. I actually think the Sox match up better with the Twins and Yanks then they do against the A's. I'm shocked that they are favorites without home field and having to face Hudson and Zito on the road.

The Twins were the hottest team down the stretch and played like a team that knows how to win. I thought the Yanks looked a little lethargic down the stretch (though they didn't have much to play for) and I'm not convinced they can just turn it on like a faucet as in years past.

In the NL, I'm going with the chalk. Atlanta and SF. Chicago has some very nice pitching but the Braves have good pitching as well and a much more productive offense. They are only a slight favorite in the series but I think they are going to roll fairly easy. Up 2-0, win 3-0 or 3-1.

SF is just better than the Marlins. The Marlins showed me a lot of heart down the stretch but I think they're in deep against the Giants.

I'll take the Braves over the Giants.

I'll take the Braves over the Sox in the Series.

daryn
09-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Woburn, MA eh? that's where i live at some time during the year. did you move there from somewhere else or are you a die hard red sox fan like me?

joeysmalls
09-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Um, you forgetting something.

Boston's lineup makes the A's lineup look like a little league team w/2 All-Stars.

[ QUOTE ]
We'll see how he pitches under even greater pressure this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pedro is the playoffs has been superb in the past. In 99 he came out of the bullpen hurt to close out the game w/6 shutout innings. Then he continued onto Fenway and out pitched Clemens.

Should be an interesting series,
JoeTall

B-Man
09-30-2003, 10:23 PM
Pedro is the playoffs has been superb in the past. In 99 he came out of the bullpen hurt to close out the game w/6 shutout innings. Then he continued onto Fenway and out pitched Clemens.

they weren't just shutout innings, they were 6 HITLESS innings.

Probably the best clutch pitching performance I have ever seen, given the circumstances.

daryn
09-30-2003, 10:32 PM
i was just going to say the same thing.. that night where he closed the door on the indians was easily one of the top 3 pedro outings i've ever seen.. as soon as i saw him coming onto the field to pitch, i knew the game was over, that's how good he was when he was on.

also, oh baby that 17 strikeout 1 hitter in NY..

Clarkmeister
09-30-2003, 10:58 PM
I'll always remember the Unit coming in to close when he was with Seattle. He was an iron man that series.

John Gaspar
09-30-2003, 11:34 PM
Grew up in Malden, lived in Woburn the last 10 years or so.

Very much a die hard Sox fan.

andyfox
10-01-2003, 12:01 AM
Johnson gave up the go-ahead run against the Yankees, only to be bailed out when Showalter refused to bring in his closer (Wetteland). Possibly the worst managed game in post-season history, considering this plus how long he let Cone stay in when he had nothing.

baggins
10-01-2003, 01:30 AM
I personally couldn't care less about sports, but...

GO CUBS!

its nice to see Cubs fans in Chicago actually happy at the end of a season!

skaboomizzy
10-01-2003, 02:27 AM
I'm perfectly fine with any team except the Braves or Yankees winning it all.

I'm leaning toward the Cubs in my rooting due to the ex-Pirate factor. It worked for Arizona in '01.

joeysmalls
10-01-2003, 08:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll always remember the Unit coming in to close when he was with Seattle. He was an iron man that series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing him jogging out of the bullpen in the 9th with the game on the line still give me chills thinking about it.