PDA

View Full Version : Stud 8

slavic
09-30-2003, 03:01 AM
I'm a Hold'em player still trying to get a grip on this game. I just got off a party .5/1 game and took it for 50 BB's in a hour. A lot of that was simply horrible opponent play but there must have been a good deal of luck also. My hand selection seemed a little suspect compared to Ray Zee's starting requirements. Below is essentialy a Razz hand that he rates fairly low so I'm wondering if I should even play these?

[As3h]7s one ace, one seven out, spades are live

2 brings it in, Q folds, J calls, 9 calls, other ace calls, I call, 7c raises (he raises or bets all streets, if I need a bet I just check, If I need a double bet I just raise not a bad deal really)

All call.

[As3h]7s 4c hand starting to look good. 2 spades and another three hits the board.

AQ checks
I check
7 3 autobets
2 K folds
J T folds
9 8 calls
A Q calls
I call

[As3h]7s 4c 5d nice a 7 low double gutter

A Q 4 checks
I check
7 3 8 Bets
9 8 2 calls
A Q 4 calls
I raise
All call

[As3h]7s 4c 5d 6s

A Q 4 A checks
I bet
7 3 8 3 Raises
9 8 2 7 calls 2
A Q 4 A calls 2
I reraise
all call

[As3h]7s 4c 5d 6s [9s]

I bet all call.

bugstud
09-30-2003, 03:16 AM
I play razz hands when they're the best low draw or have high potential with somewhat connected cards and 2 flushes. (A3) 7 is sorta in between those because you can brick into aces up and whatnot. In any case, you play is sound, but unless you get an ultrafishy party table these types of results are hard to get consistently. Stud/8 is really underappreciated for it's fish-harvesting potential, though.

J_V
09-30-2003, 04:15 AM
Stud 8 is the ultimate tool for separating the ulto fish from there money. But the mediocre's aren't as easy to get at.

Ed Miller
09-30-2003, 08:01 AM
Please teach me how to be dealt the perfect card on every street... please. I might manage not to lose my buyin every time I play stud if you do that.

slavic
09-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Please teach me how to be dealt the perfect card on every street... please

Well that? That is just my awesome poker prowess. Really if you were any kind of good player you would know how to get perfect cards. But since maybe you need the help.

I sacrifice a bucket of Kentucky fried, and a shot of Bourbon before I play. It also helps to knock the chicken bones over your down cards.

Now finding the perfect opponents? That I can't help with.

crockpot
09-30-2003, 07:47 PM
this is no razz hand. even though you have one ace out, it is still a lot better than having a deuce in the hole, and a live two flush is worth something too. i would play this unless it was two cold bets to me, and even then i'd say it's close.

Vehn
09-30-2003, 09:57 PM
You should know the most important skill in stud/8 is cardcatching.

Chris Nichelson
10-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Not a razz hand at all. I would raise here on 3rd street every time with this hand if the Ace were totally live and usually if I had a shot at getting it heads up or if it was definite that there were three or more opponents already.

You could bet or go for the checkraise even on 4th street here once you caught the 4c--but it's not necessary against most opponents--especially with your hand falling a little more dead.