PDA

View Full Version : Questions about playing at Empire

AcesFullMike
09-30-2003, 02:23 AM
I'm relatively new to poker. I've been playing at Empire's play money $25 NL games. Obviously, you get some unrealistic play in them (the majority of players took the games fairly seriously though) and I've used the games as practice to get my discipline down, getting use to automatic folding, winning the proverbial 1 big bet an hour and generally winning on about 90% of the sessions I've played.

Now I've got a real money account and I'd like to know:

When is the best time to play NL $25? I like the lower blind structure in it vs the .50/1.00 tables.

What is the difference in the level of play comparing:

NL 25
PL 25
.50/1.00 games?

Thanks guys. This is a great forum.

kylemontero
09-30-2003, 02:40 AM
You should be able to make way more than 1 big bet per hour playing N/L. The p/l 25 your big hands are very vulnerable because it will only cost everybody no more than 2 bucks to see the flop. I would not ever try to play limit .50/1.00 or 1/2, everybody sees the flops and you cannot get them out. I think the .50/1.00 and 1/2 are harder to win at then the 30/60 or 15/30 games

1800GAMBLER
09-30-2003, 11:20 AM
Small stakes are the easiest to beat because they don't fold.

ElSapo
09-30-2003, 11:23 AM
I would not ever try to play limit .50/1.00 or 1/2, everybody sees the flops and you cannot get them out.

Why do you want them out?

jasonHoldEm
09-30-2003, 11:23 AM
Hi Mike,

I'm not a NL player, but I can tell you that Party/Empire is always fishier on the weekend. I doubt you will see little if any difference though at the micros...they are always fishy.

Good luck,
jHE

tdiddy
09-30-2003, 12:48 PM
kylemontero said:

[ QUOTE ]
I would not ever try to play limit .50/1.00 or 1/2, everybody sees the flops and you cannot get them out. I think the .50/1.00 and 1/2 are harder to win at then the 30/60 or 15/30 games

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I can beat the .5/1 at party for $2 per hour. By Mr. kylemontero's reasoning, the 30/60 will be easier to beat. So, I should have no problem making at least $120 per hour. Mr. kylemontero, will you back me for 30/60 now? I anxiously await your PM to arrange the details.

daryn
09-30-2003, 12:53 PM
many people say things like this (you can't get the to fold, therefore it's a bad game) and the sadder thing is they believe what they say to be true.

this always comes from someone who thinks he is a good poker player, but sadly is not. well, only sad for him, not for me.

ramjam
09-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Hi AFM

[ QUOTE ]
When is the best time to play NL $25? I like the lower blind structure in it vs the .50/1.00 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the blind structure is the same - in both cases 25c/50c? If you want $25NL tables with smaller blinds (10c/25c), try UB or Pokerstars. On the downside, standards of play have historically been a little better at UB and moderately better at Stars than you might expect to experience at Party.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the difference in the level of play comparing:

NL 25
PL 25
.50/1.00 games?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not clocked up enough hours to say very much about the NL and PL - although when I've played NL, there often seemed to be people willing to call big bets with small hands.

The 0.5/1.00 is poker's largest aquarium. Feel free to dive in and luxuriate in the loosest and most passive play you are ever likely to enjoy.

Foldarama_City
09-30-2003, 01:31 PM
These are just the sort of things that a some NL players say about low limits. They just haven't understood the adjustments you need to make to your play. What they are basically saying is, "My rockets got sucked out on, so limit sux." I said it once, but now I love low limits.

kylemontero
09-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Your the only fool who disagrees with me. If you have 7 people that see the flop what are the odds of your A A holding up? Not very good

daryn
09-30-2003, 07:35 PM
when you say "the odds of your AA holding up are not good" what exactly do you mean by "not good"?

if i have AA in a pot where 7 people see the flop, it's clear to see that my hand will win the most. obviously i'm not more than a 50% favorite, but my hand will win a higher percentage than any other. so when i lose, i'll lose a bit, but when i win, i'll win more.. isn't that what poker is all about?

i wish i could be in a game where everyone saw the flop every time with every hand.

Homer
09-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Your the only fool who disagrees with me. If you have 7 people that see the flop what are the odds of your A A holding up? Not very good

I find it funny that you are calling people who quite obviously are more intelligent (and more ethical for that matter) than you "fools".

I can't believe you still show your face on this forum.

-- Homer

lorinda
09-30-2003, 08:26 PM

I disagree with you too.

Lori.

ccwhoelse?
09-30-2003, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it wins more than it's fair share, way more than 1/7. isn't that the whole point of poker? winning more than your fair share?

no wait...everyone has just been playing wrong.

GuyOnTilt
09-30-2003, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously either a) don't play limit hold'em, or b) are not a winner at limit hold'em. Oh and by the way, I think EVERYBODY in the SS Forum would disagree with you.

AcesFullMike
10-02-2003, 09:28 PM
I played my first real game on wednesday. Up $48 for the day, about 4 1/2 hours of playing. Only playing high cards.
Very tight, ultra conservative. The tables can be quite tight. Often only two people seeing the river, most players folding pre flop, etc.

If I move up to $50 or if I start playing multiple $25 tables, I should be able to grind out $100 a day at least for a little while.

Inthacup
10-02-2003, 09:34 PM
If I move up to $50 or if I start playing multiple $25 tables, I should be able to grind out $100 a day at least for a little while.

Are you basing this on your results from your first day?

DrSavage
10-03-2003, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Only playing high cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
This concerns me. Unlike blackjack not all the high cards are all the same. Many high card combinations shouldn't be played at all.

AcesFullMike
10-03-2003, 01:09 PM
The hands I'm playing are:

AA through about 88 or so. AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ. K9 no for example. And I'm only waiting until I make a big hand before betting.

dwt95
10-03-2003, 01:12 PM
I think it's just important to realize that if there is a draw on the board, someone is on it in the low limits.

And yes, it sucks to get drawn out on 2 outers but just realize for every time they hit it, there are 45 more times they won't and they will continue to chase it.