PDA

View Full Version : 50-100 Limp reraise attempt with second thoughts

PokerPrince
09-29-2003, 10:06 PM
Tight aggressive game. My raises were getting a little too much respect and thought I'de go for a limp reraise when I got K /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif in EP. So I limp and someone catches the bait in MP and raises. The only thing is, no one else calls his raise. I decided to go against my limp reraise attempt and simply call him, mainly for deception and mixup purposes. Heads up to the flop.

Flop-J /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, he bets, I call.

Turn-J /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, he bets, I raise, he calls.

River-J /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, he calls.

Thoughts on all streets welcome.

PokerPrince

Depraved
09-30-2003, 01:14 AM
I love your flat call preflop. This is a great play IMO, since you're only giving up 1 small bet for deception.

However, I think you gave him too many chances to check behind postflop. Unless you know he would absolutely bet, I would be inclined to bet into him on the flop or the turn. Doing this usually gets a raise anyway since it is seen as a pestering steal move or a bet for information with a weaker hand, and then you can 3bet.

PokerPrince
09-30-2003, 04:00 AM
Very good points. In the heat of the moment I just decided the turn would be when I'de strike but yes betting out is viable.

PokerPrince

Diplomat
09-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Hi Prince,

looks like you did a bit better on this one than on the AQs hand. My only comment is that limp-re-raising big pairs in this game is a good idea, because there are a several medeocre regulars that particularly like isolation plays with hands like A7o and KTo. Just be sure to keep variance in your playbook, although I am sure you already know that.

-Diplomat

ML4L
09-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Hey PokerPrince,

Looks well-played to me; which street are you questioning and why?

ML4L

andyfox
09-30-2003, 02:54 PM
I like it all. You're also going to get some goood metagame benefits from this line of play.

Dynasty
09-30-2003, 03:44 PM
If you're not going to 3-bet pre-flop, then you should definitely check-raise either the flop or turn. Don't smooth call pre-flop and then just bet out. I might have check-raised the flop hoping to get 3-bet and then check-raise the turn.

Ulysses
09-30-2003, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I might have check-raised the flop hoping to get 3-bet and then check-raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that plan, but had I gone that route, against most opponents I'd change the plan and just bet the turn when the third heart fell.

Would you still go for the turn checkraise?

PokerPrince
09-30-2003, 05:04 PM
No questions for the play really. Just wanted to see what others thought about going for the limp reraise and simply calling against only one other player. Postflop I don't see a problem with my play but this is the first time I've had this scenario before the flop.

PokerPrince

Diplomat
09-30-2003, 05:09 PM
I assume that if you limped, another player limped, and then there was a raise, you might have re-raised?

Or, if there was a raise, a cold-call, and then to you, you might have re-raised?

Personally, I prefer the limp-cold-call when you are heads up. For the other two, especially the second, I'll re-raise.

-Diplomat

nykenny
09-30-2003, 05:29 PM
i would do the same.

Depraved
09-30-2003, 06:43 PM
I like this strategy too. Checkraising the flop may be the optimal flop play, but I would 4bet any reraise, and then bet out on the turn regardless of the turn card.

Setting up a checkraise seems too ambitious to me, and I'd opt to get in 1 bet for sure rather than risk getting checked behind. The reason I'd play it this way in this situation is because I feel my opponent will probably check behind more than 50% of the time after I've put up an aggressive defense. After all, it's likely he was trying to isolate me but it's not nearly as likely that he will like his hand after the flop play. As an irrelevant anecdote, I used to try to checkraise the turn TOO much heads up, and found myself losing too many bets to opponents who tended to check behind with a draw or a weak hand.

And then given the 3flush on the turn, I would consider checkraising even less.

PokerPrince
09-30-2003, 08:47 PM
Yes I certainly would have gone with the reraise preflop had there been another player involved. I decided against it when heads up.

PokerPrince

PokerPrince
09-30-2003, 08:49 PM
My opponent called my river bet and turned over A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif for the win. I was drawing to two outs. Thoughts on my opponents play throughout?

PokerPrince

Ulysses
09-30-2003, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts on my opponents play throughout?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a clear 3-bet on the turn.

ML4L
09-30-2003, 10:49 PM
Hey PokerPrince,

I think that the flat-call before the flop is a good, thinking play. I agree with Diplomat; when I go for a limp-reraise, I like to just call if I end up in this situation. If a third player enters the pot, it is best to raise.

I think that this preflop play causes you to win more when you have the best hand postflop and lose less when you don't. I'd say that the results of this hand are in line with that assertion...

ML4L

ML4L
09-30-2003, 10:53 PM
Hey Ulysses,

Instead of three-betting the turn, what about flat-calling Prince's check-raise and then raising the river?

ML4L

Clarkmeister
10-01-2003, 01:09 AM
"I might have check-raised the flop hoping to get 3-bet and then check-raise the turn. "

I like this, but I'd be more inclined to 4-bet and lead if I got 3-bet. People simply are too willing to check behind once you 3 bet them on the flop, and many of the holdings that you are ahead of really want that free card. 4-betting and leading is the best play here.

Ulysses
10-01-2003, 03:36 AM
That's a reasonable line, but there are a few hands (QK w/ one heart for example) that would call a 3-bet on the turn but check-fold on the river. Other marginal hands might check-fold if another heart hits. I'd 3-bet the turn if I thought my opponent had any kind of real hand and only call the turn if I had a strong feeling he was on a complete bluff.

SittingBull
10-02-2003, 01:39 AM
receiving a great deal of respect,U should have loosen up a little by raising with drawing hands like medium suited connectors in any position to test whether u can start to steal a fair amount of pots. This would have been better than slow-playing a big pr pre-flop. MAYBE u were too readable.
HappyPokering, /images/graemlins/smile.gif SittingBull

Duke
10-02-2003, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like this, but I'd be more inclined to 4-bet and lead if I got 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on this one. I played this hand as you describe about 6 months ago in a 30-60. AA vs KK and he's after me to act with the kings. 4 bets on the flop, one turn, and one river. He was smart enough to smell something and just call it down after my flop 4-bet. (Happened at Commerce so 4 bet cap).

Calling a 3-bet and then going for a turn check-raise is a little risky, and only nets an extra small bet when successful, but loses 1.5 full bets when it backfires and he avoids the trap.

~D