PDA

View Full Version : ISP problems- need help

StoneAge
09-28-2003, 11:59 PM
I did a search for this topic but couldn't find anything- If anyone can remember this being talked about before, let me know the thread name, I'll do another search.

So I just started back up playing online a few weeks ago for the fall (I don't play much in the summer because of my job). I signed up with one of those $5.95/month ISPs and things were fine for a while - one or two disconnects in a couple weeks.

A couple days ago I was playing on party and got disconnected. Then again in 15 or 20 mins. Then again in 15 or 20 mins. And again. This happened for 1 1/2 hours till I finally figured it out its going to keep happening. (Neanderthals are slow learners). Since then 3 out of 4 times I get on the net I get this disconnect cycle.

I have tried what the website support page said to do to help disconnects (lower the port speeds etc.) but it didn't help. I have tried different numbers in different surrounding towns. Tonight I signed up for a free trial with a different ISP (8.95/mo) and the same problem is happening. They have some of the same phone #s as the other ISP plus some more.

I live in the middle of nowhere Vermont right now (the Northeast Kingdom). Probably on the very outskirts of ISP land.

Anyone have any idea for me? Are there any other settings I should work on in my computer? (It is not call waiting) Do I need to sign up with MSN or someone and pay the big bucks for dial-up? Do I need to move all the way up to something like DSL? I don't really know about things like DSL- can I do that though any old phone line? Can I get it in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont?

Needless to say regular disconnects get quite expensive and can get frustrating, so I am willing to pay a bit more if I have to.

Thanks

Cyndie
09-29-2003, 01:23 AM
If you are getting lots of disconnects on a regular line, it is very unlikely that you are going to even qualify for a DSL line, as you need to be within a certain distance of a telephone switching station.

Presumably DSL and cable modems are not available or too expensive, but you might be able to get one of the satellite ISPs that use a phone line for your responses, or uploads,but use much faster satellite responses for downloads.

skaboomizzy
09-29-2003, 02:20 AM
Finally, something I can possibly help with! (Former ISP techie and salesman)

Do you travel, or not? (I ask because of your profile.) If you're moving around from place to place, I'd suggest someone like Earthlink. They're generally pretty affordable and reliable for dial-up.

If you want some more in-depth technical help, PM me with some more info like the brand of your PC, operating system, type of modem, etc. I'll be glad to get back to you and help any way I can.