PDA

View Full Version : "I can't beat the board!"

mikelow
09-28-2003, 10:01 PM
An amusing hand played last night rather late after too much beer and college football:

30-60 at the Commerce--I have A /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (the hand du jour it seems) on the button. Two limpers (UTG+1 typical
Commerce LAG, and LP--just sat down 10 minutes ago--unknown), and I limp also. SB completes and BB checks. Five players in. Flop is:

A /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Gotta like my flush draw. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Blinds check, UTG + 1 bets, LP calls and I raise. The blinds fold and UTG + 1 just calls as does LP. I may very well have folded to a threebet. Turn is:

[A /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Checked to me and I bet my "bottom" flush. Both call. I'm in trouble now.

River is:

[A /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

A flush is on the board. Checked to me and even though I "thought" (tired) I couldn't beat the board, I bluffed. Comments?

brad
09-28-2003, 10:24 PM
ok youre taking this get rid of weak tight thing a little too far /images/graemlins/smile.gif heh

plsl hope u got 5 and 6 spades to fold /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Depraved
09-28-2003, 11:06 PM
To me it really seems like you're going to get called down by a mediocre spade, but I'm interested in seeing the results. If the other two didn't have flush draws, I would have put them on stronger hands which you would have heard from, rather than just calling like a draw would. It seems highly unlikely that out of two players calling with 4 spades on the board neither would have a spade and intend to show it down.

Even so, I don't think the post flop play was unacceptable, just unfortunate. I wouldn't limp with A4o late with two limpers in front of me and two blinds who will also see the flop. The hand is basically trash (especially 5way), and I think the post flop issues, being mired in uncertainty and borderline plays, are totally predictable with this holding.

andyfox
09-29-2003, 01:23 AM
Sounds likes the game's a lot easier at night. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeknom58
09-29-2003, 05:23 AM
Unless both of them had sets or 2 pair I'm pretty sure a spade is calling you down. I think you get called by the hmmm....let me take a guess.....Js....

mikelow
09-29-2003, 05:47 PM
UTG + 1 called, the other folded. I turned may hand over and said "play the board." It was about to be a split until another player noticed that I won by a pip. UTG + 1 had 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for a flopped bottom two pair.

Shortly after that, it was time to go home and head for bed. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yeknom58
09-29-2003, 06:24 PM
YOU CAN BEAT THE BOARD!!! LIAR! LIAR!

mikelow
09-29-2003, 10:31 PM
I think you missed the bus on this one. Go back and reread the original post.

Yeknom58
09-29-2003, 10:55 PM
I got hit by the bus!