PDA

View Full Version : cultural differences

mike l.
09-28-2003, 04:46 PM
this was a little something funny that happened last week at my local cardroom.

we were playing 20-40 in a really good game full of fish. this one kid, a maybe 25 year old japanese guy who speaks broken english and used to play only blackjack (no pai gow), but who recently started playing hold em (and playing it very loosely and very aggressively i might add; much to the delight of the few sane players in the game), comes up to the table and starts checking out the action. i say hi to him (i genuinely like him, he's a nice funny guy) and he smiles and is checking out the big pots and awful showdown hands. after a couple minutes this really grumpy huge 40-something jock type says really loudly "hey go stand somewhere else! youre not allowed to stand here!" the kid tries to explain that he's on the list for the game and that he's checking it out. "i dont care, get the hell out of here! dont you understand ENGLISH!" then the floor comes over, this stupid hag who has no idea how to treat people like people. "no you have to go away from here NOW."

now i understand not wanting someone to stand right behind you (i myself have asked people to stand somewhere else when they are right behind me), but at the point the floor lady came up he was standing like 4 feet back from the table and far away from that guy in particular.

anyway, about two hours later, the kid has made his way into the must move and into our game now. big dumb jock has of course went bust and left. there is a player directly on his left whose brother is visiting the table and watching a few hands. he is standing directly behind the kid while he chats and watches the action. the guy says to his bro and the kid "hey pull up a chair bro, im sure this guy (the kid) doesnt want you standing right behind him. you might see his cards or something." the kid speaks up loudly and with a smile says "no please stay where you are! i like it. and please bring more people. i would let as many people as want to to come stand behind me. I CONSIDER IT A SIGN OF SUPPORT."

isnt that just the neatest thing.

John Cole
09-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Mike,

I shouldn't be shocked by the lack of civility or manners exhibited in poker rooms, but I usually am anyway. (And I'm not even thinking of someone who gets a bit short after taking a bad beat.) Yesterday, for the first time in months, I played at Foxwoods, and while I was taking breaks, I'd let people walk by me, stepping out of the way and inviting them to pass. Not one person acknowledged even the slightest courtesy. About a year ago, I was waiting at the board to give the attendant my name. Another man was there before me. She turned and asked me what I wanted. I said the other man was their first, so she took his request. Curious, I asked her how many other players do this sort of thing. Her response, "You're the first I've seen." And she has been working there for years.

I'm not trying to hold myself up as a paragon of civility--because I'm not--but I am constantly amazed that few players extend even the most minimal of courtesies.

John

Rainbow Warrior
09-28-2003, 11:06 PM
Hi JC

Maybe, like Mike says, it's a cultural thing.
However, there are rude people everywhere in every culture.
The ratio of rude/non-rude is what varies.
As a Canadian we're often teased for being overly polite.
But hey...being courteous and helpful makes ME feel good.
Whatareyagonnado?

andyfox
09-29-2003, 01:10 AM
Certainly there are cultural differences.

But while the anecdotal evidence we all have experienced is not scientific, it sure seems that the percentage of a-holes in the cardroom as compared to other places is quite high. I think this has to do with the higher percentage of people there who think they can get something for nothing, or who think they're cool because they're gamblers, or who chose gambling as a vocation or avocation because they are socially incapable of doing much else. Add in the perceived bad beats from people who are perceived as fishy idiots, and it ain't a very pretty picture.

Rainbow Warrior
09-29-2003, 02:28 AM
Good points Andy,

Continuing on...
Besides the social misfits you mention, we get to those with serious alcohol a/o drug a/o gambling addictions. The financial and emotional impact these have on a large segment of mankind, including friends, families and associates of said addicts, must be staggering.

I'm sure consideration of others is well down the priority list (hell, it ain't even on the list) for much of the population.

(lol) See this months 'Internet Forum' for proof of this.

MMMMMM
09-29-2003, 09:31 AM
It's doubtless gotten worse since it became more crowded after Mohegan Sun closed their poker room. I've just been playing online lately rather than deal with it. Also I have generally deferred to others at the board if they appeared to be waiting there first, usually asking them if they were all set before giving the board person my name for the list. Also, you can usually tell if someone is waiting to give the board person their name, or if they have already done it and don't appear to be interested.

I think the poker room brings out the worst in a lot of people because frankly a lot of annoying things happen when playing poker (not the least of which is losing hands;-)). Also, especially with flop games, people are often in a hurry to get back to the table so they can post behind the button so they don't have to miss a whole round. Thus I too usually walk quickly through the room but I try not to knock anyone over;-) I don't see why they couldn't at least smile or nod at you for your courtesy though.