PDA

View Full Version : Pokerstars 1/2, Laydown KK preflop?

Utah
09-28-2003, 10:41 AM
I had been playing very agressively and had been raising a lot preflop on a terribly tight table. The previous hand I had been dealt AA UTG, where I limped and then came over the top to a raise. Everyone folded and I showed my cards.

Next hand in the BB I am dealt KK. Folded to button who limps, sm completes, and I raise it up $10. Button folds and sb check-raises me for his last $80.

wtf? What to put him on?
I figure he has AA, since this was his first raise in a long time and since he bet all his chips. I really dont put him on a bluff because the bet didnt need to be that big to pick me off.

I also figured that he might be going all-in with AA, because he figures that I cant put him on AA since AA just came up the previous hand (yes, I know that the previous hand has nothing to do with it, but perception is important).

Therefore, the only real hands he has are AA-JJ and A,K.

Since he went all-in, he might not want a call but has a fight chance if I do call.

When I folded, he flipped over A,10o.

Was this an easy call?

JohnG
09-28-2003, 12:07 PM
From what you have said, it's an easy call. Too many hands that you have beat.

After your raise, it would be normal for a typical opponent, on his stack size, to make that all-in move with a lot of hands. Even more so against someone that has been raising a lot such as yourself.

Generally, KK is a hand to live and die by preflop, mainly for psychological reasons. A player that makes a habit of big laydowns will get run over by the better players.

1800GAMBLER
09-28-2003, 01:21 PM
What type of idiot limpreraises with Aces on the button? You'd have to be raising 90% of hands preflop for me to do that.

In your case i would have pushed all in.

crockpot
09-28-2003, 04:56 PM
i think you have to call given the range of hands you put him on. if he will do this with any hands weaker than KK, you have a call since there is already some money in the pot.

further, he might just be trying to get it all in so you can't force him out later with a bet when you have position, or he thinks since you are raising so much, you may be pushing the action with something worse than his Ax. he may have aces, but he is quite likely to flip something that you have beat too.

sam h
09-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Easy call.

You have a loose and aggressive image. You also just had AA, and although this of course doesn't affect your chances of holding something big now, your opponent won't always think that way. Instead, he's probably thinking, "This guy is running everybody over, he just showed that AA in order to make people think he's always got the goods and set himself up to take down more pots with raises, therefore I should play back at him."

Plus, would he really just complete SB with AA? This was a bad fold on your part.

Legend27
09-29-2003, 01:45 AM
If he had AA he probably would not have raised all-in preflop. Chances are he limped in with a hand like QJ, KT or an Ace and is mad the BB raised and he reraises just because you did. I see this happen on party sometimes.

Jon Matthews
09-29-2003, 09:11 AM
the SB would just complete if he was planning a limp reraise all in - this play screams aces like hardly anything else and it's just a matter of whether you believe him or not - turns out it was a nice move!

but... getting the read wrong here doesn't make this the worst fold ever, there was definitely a chance he had the goods here, a play i would definitely consider if i was trying to stop someone running over the table

Jon