PDA

View Full Version : Vituperation

andyfox
09-28-2003, 01:42 AM
I heard Sean Hannity complaining the other day about how vituperative the "left wingers" are against Bush, in particular the Democratic presidential candidates. He bemoaned the loss of civility in political discourse.

Huh?

Where was he while Clinton was president? Clinton was excoriated daily by Hannity and the others on the right. The loss of civility in political discourse began when Bill ahd Hillary moved into the White House.

Ann Coulter calls liberals traitors. Monca Charen calls them idiots. Rush Limbaugh calls feminists nazis. I can't think of any influential people on the left who are even in the same league, vituperatively, with O'Reilly, or Ollie North, or G. Gordon Liddy, or Ann Coulter, or Larry Elder, or Rush Limbaugh, or Robert Novack, or Sean Hannity, or Michael Medved, or Dennis Prager.

adios
09-28-2003, 07:18 AM
"He bemoaned the loss of civility in political discourse."

Not sure of all the specifics you mention but I agree with your point that civility in political discourse is not something that Republicans have anything to be proud of. Certainly if Hannity said what he said he's got a very short memory and I have no reason to doubt you.

HDPM
09-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Good to see you paying attention to these conservatives. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

andyfox
09-28-2003, 05:34 PM
They're hard to avoid. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ACPlayer
09-29-2003, 11:32 AM
I believe that these people need a new name. They have hijacked the term conservative for personal financial gain at the expense of idealogy, debate, reasoning.

A great example was, I think it was Novak, defending his support for Arnold (another gadfly) over McClintock a far more conservative candidate in CA. I think he said: Well, this is not Mississippi or Alabama where the type of people I like live, so we have to deal with the situation.

TAFKAn
10-01-2003, 01:54 AM
The loss of civility in political discourse began when Bill ahd Hillary moved into the White House.

It began long, long before that.

nicky g
10-01-2003, 08:18 AM
Isn't their complaint that Democratic politicians indulge in such vituperation, and not commentators/journalists, which they themselves are?