PDA

View Full Version : A Poker Odyssey, Vol. 15 - JasonHoldEm is dead!

jasonHoldEm
09-28-2003, 12:54 AM
Hi all,

Ok, I’m not really dead…otherwise this would be a really weird post. On Friday jasonHoldEm was officially laid to rest at Party Poker. I’ve been considering the idea to change my user name for a couple months now. I don’t necessarily think that my opponents can gain that much of an edge from knowing me here at 2+2; however, I think there’s enough there to be concerned about. As I move into the “bigger” limits I’m going to be running into more and more 2+2’rs and I’d like to have as much of an edge as I can against them (lord knows I need it). Eventually you’re going to figure out who a good player is just by playing with them, but at least they won’t be able to put “the name with the face” so to speak.

Things are good. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually this week has been pretty crazy, but it’s also been a learning experience and I think it’s been another step forward for me.

Monday night was great. A combination of some good cards, bad opponents, and those skills I’ve been working on to build bigger pots when I’m ahead, lead to a very profitable evening. I finished $164 on the plus side (41 BB’s) in about an hour and a half of play.

Tuesday was (of course) the exact opposite. It started off bad when I flopped set under set and lost a bundle, and just continued to get worse…one of those evenings where if you’re drawing it never comes and if they’re drawing it always does. Tuesday night also led to one of my most comical moments in my poker career, after two hours of losing my money I finally decided things weren’t going to turn around and that I should call it quits for the evening. I finished my orbits and when I stood up from my three tables I had lost exactly $164. Leaving me exactly even for the week. I guess I can’t complain too much.

Wednesday was a much more even session…pretty boring actually. Played for 1.5 hrs and made $83. On Wednesday I also was finally able to deposit money using IGMPAY. I maxed out the bonus at both Empire and Party, so I’ll be able to clear both of those bonuses during the rest of the week and should still do pretty well this week (considering I went the first two days breaking even).

On Thursday I started what I hope will become a regular afternoon session, at least until I clear my bonuses. The players seem considerably tighter during the afternoon hours. This was a little difficult to adjust to and I actually dropped down to 1/2 in search of more profitable games. I lost money at 2/4 and made some back at 1/2, but still finished my afternoon session down $25. I think tomorrow I’ll just play 1/2 from the start.

The evening session would have been another losing session had it not been for one (lucky) hand that turned things around for me. It was one of those situations where I actually felt bad for getting lucky (well…not that bad), but given the circumstances I think I played the hand correctly. The table was very loose and hadn’t been exceedingly aggressive. I picked up 33 in MP and decided to call after 3 limpers in front, CO limps as well and the button raises, the SB is on a short stack and makes it three-bets and puts himself all in. Everyone calls to me and I figure if everyone comes along I am probably getting sufficient odds to flop a set, so I cold-call two even though I don’t like it. Of course the button then decides to cap it and we have 8 people seeing the flop for 4 bets each (well, one person is all in for 3). Flop comes down ragged and jack high. BB bets out and everyone calls to me, so at this point there’s so much money in the pot I am actually getting enough odds to chase my 2 outer (I have to fear a bigger set I guess, so maybe I wasn’t getting sufficient odds, but at 35:1 I’m calling). So I call and everyone behinds me calls too. On the turn we’re still 8 handed and my beautiful 3 decides to show up. BB bets out again, everyone calls to me again and I raise, CO folds, and everyone else calls. River is a blank. It’s checked to me and I bet, button and the BB (and the all-in SB) are my only callers. I’m up against AKo, KJo, and JTo, my hand is good, I drag a ~$120 pot. I also cleared my IGMPAY bonus on Party tonight so I made $124 at the tables and another $100 in bonus. I’m now up about $250 for the week ($100 of which is bonus).

I just finished my afternoon session before I sat down to write this. I played 1/2 at Empire for about an hour and a half. I made $43 and finished about half the hands for my bonus. I actually really enjoy playing 1/2 because it’s “good for me” in that I’m willing to try out different things I don’t normally do at 2/4. I find I’m more aggressive at 1/2 than I am at 2/4, and I was very successful today with that aggression. Of course this wasn’t mindless betting, but rather picking those spots where I can pressure my weak opponents successfully and having the balls to follow through with it.

Today I did a lot of aggressive play when the board paired, I think this is one part of my game where I don’t play strongly enough. With only a few exceptions, if I was still involved in a hand and the board paired I was betting out, raising, or check-raising about 70-80% of the time. This is probably a little too aggressive for limits where the players have a clue, but it was amazing to watch them run away like scared little girls today. I didn’t keep exact stats, but I know I made a lot more money than I lost in this situation. I only had it backfire on me twice. Once when the player had the third card of the paired board (and a 2 kicker) and he just check-called me down, and once when someone called and successfully made their flush on the river (I didn’t pay off, but they showed). So essentially that represents a loss of 4 BB’s and I know I made more than this over the course of the session using this play. I wonder how much EV this play really has?

Right now I plan to keep my empire account under its current name (jasonHoldEm2). Maybe down the road I’ll change it as well, but for the time being I want to be able to participate in the 2+2 study table that has been started, and I’d like to do so without revealing my new name, so using my Empire account seems like the easiest solution.

--------

Woo-hoo! This week is officially my best week ever. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Friday night's session was an ordeal. Played for 3.5 hours and actually had to rebuy at one of my tables. Rallied in the last hour or so to finish up about $100. Crazy night.

Played a nice afternoon session on Saturday. I absolutely adore 1/2 at Party. It's tought to accept the fact I used to struggle with this limit, but I guess that just shows how far I've come. I played for about an hour and a half and won $85. My win rate at 1/2 the last few sessions has been staggering, I'm making almost as much per hour as I am at 2/4 and without the swings. (I realize that the handful of sessions I have is not a significant sample...blah, blah, blah).

Saturday night was a little tough. My week has been going really well and I thought I'd sit at 3/6 get some more expereince. I don't know if I just picked the worst possible tables or what, but I got my ass handed to me for about 45 minutes and then got lucky on one big hand. That one hand put me up about $6 and I got out...no sense pushing things at a new limit when I "know" I can win at 2/4.

I dropped down to 2/4 and played for 2.5 hours and finished up $105.

This week started out a little rough, but since Wednesday it has been fantastic. I made over $500 at the tables and also cleared both the IGMPAY bonuses for an additional $200. My best week prior to this was $450 in table earnings.

I’ve decided I’m going to take tomorrow off and enjoy my good week. There are some things I need to get organized for the coming week (writing my A+ exam Friday most likely) and I really want to finish Middle Limit Hold’em.

My weekly results have steadily been increasing since I moved. I think I'm getting close to the higher end of what I can expect to earn without adding additional hours or moving up to 3/6 full-time. I do plan to add the afternoon session at 1/2 this coming week and see how that works out. This will give me an additional 5-10 hours of play a week (I've been putting in around 15-20 each week so far), and I hope this will help to continue increasing my weekly earn.

Whew...time for bed.

Thanks for reading,
jHE

David
09-28-2003, 01:23 AM
good post jason, how do you change your name at party?

Ted Geisel
09-28-2003, 01:47 AM
A good readable post.

(However, when you yourself have turned a set of threes, what card could be considered by you to be a blank on the river (other than a deuce) ?

Ted

Homer
09-28-2003, 02:04 AM
Hi Jason, nice post as always. Glad to hear your results are steadily improving. I'm curious if your parents stance on poker is gradually becoming less hardened. I assume you're telling them each week, "Hey, guess what, I made another XXX dollars this week playing poker!"

-- Homer

Homer
09-28-2003, 02:08 AM
(However, when you yourself have turned a set of threes, what card could be considered by you to be a blank on the river (other than a deuce)?

He said it was a raggedy Jack high flop, so in my mind that is something like J84r. With a 3 on the turn, most river cards are blanks, with the exception of those that complete the only obvious draw on board (7 or Q). I'd jump for joy if a K came on the river, even though it's strange to think of a K as a "blank".

-- Homer

Terry
09-28-2003, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It started off bad when I flopped set under set and lost a bundle

[/ QUOTE ]
At least you played it right. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

In the past you’ve mentioned a bit of a tilting/steaming problem. I think I see something relevant in your post, so I’d like to impose a little story upon you.

I sometimes play Video Poker. Now, Video Poker is a very volatile game in which your bankroll is being constantly drained and then occasionally takes a big jump upward. It can be very frustrating, but a player has to overcome the feelings that come with the fact that he will lose for five to ten straight days before he hits the royal and comes out a winner.

One of the little tricks that I use to help me overcome the feeling that comes from losing is to put a matchbook over the screen to cover the place where it shows how many credits I have left. When the machine is empty, I just stick another bill in it, but I don’t spend any time looking at my remaining credits, thinking about how much I’m losing. My mind is only on playing the current hand correctly.

See where this going? Those results like up $16 in 20 minutes, down $87 in an hour, up $102 in an hour and a half have no real meaning. They are just numbers that you write down and add up at the end of the week. Even the weekly totals don’t mean very much; you probably have to look at the month before you start taking them seriously at all. But even though they have no real meaning doesn’t mean that they can’t be disturbing/distracting, huh?

Do I have a sure cure? Nope. You gotta get used to it. The phrase is “don’t be so results oriented.” If my suspicions are correct, and those (very) short term results are taking a toll on you... well, you just gotta get used to it.

One thing you might want to try, and I have done this myself, is, when you’re in a game you “know” is good and that you “know” you can beat, take a Post-It and stick it on your screen to cover up your bankroll. Just concentrate on playing the game, not on how you’re doing at the moment.

Have fun.

jasonHoldEm
09-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Hi David,

I just emailed them with the new name I wanted, and (a couple days later) they emailed me back to let me know they'd changed it. From the way they worded their response it appears you can change your name once a year.

jHE

jasonHoldEm
09-28-2003, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(other than a deuce)

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL...so true. Actually, I don't even remember what it was, except it was non-broadway (I think it might have even put a straight on the board /images/graemlins/blush.gif ) so maybe it wasn't a blank afterall, but when it's checked to me I'm still gonna bet.

jasonHoldEm
09-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks Homer,

Well, my mother has pretty much always been in my corner. She doesn't like the "gambling" element, but she understands the game can be beaten. Dad is another matter, as he isn't mathematical at all and sees it as a game of luck and thinks I'm going to lose all my money.

I don't think I'll ever get dad to fully accept the game, but I'm planning to pull out around $1000-1500 out of party (essentially taking be back down to 300 BB's for 2/4) in the next few days and make some big payments on my loans. When my next statment comes (showing the 1k payment), I might happen to "accidently" leave this statement laying on the kitchen table...or perhaps highlight the important parts, put a big sign that says "I PAID THIS WITH POKER WINNINGS" and tack it on the refrigerator. I haven't really decided yet. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jHE

jasonHoldEm
09-28-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your advice. Actually, I think you might be hitting on something that I've missed. In the past I wasn't very good at keeping records, I didn't have a clue on my hours played, time played, hourly rate, etc. THe only thing I really kept track of was my total win/loss, and sometimes that even got messed up.

When I came home I decided I was going to get more serious about tracking my stats. I made this nice worksheet in excel and now track my results a number of ways...I'm begining to realize that some of my calculations are a waste of time (and are putting too much emphasis on short term results as you have suggested).

One nice thing about my spreadsheet is that it allows me to track my results on a cumulative basis. I take a reading of where I'm at every half hour (this is the short term part that isn't really important). So, for example, if I sat down with $300 at 7pm and at 7:30 I had $342 on the table(s) I'd write down +$42. Then at 8pm lets say I have $328...so even though I'm still up $28 for one hour of play I'd write down -$14 since that's what happened over the last half hour.

Basically, my reasoning behind that method was so I could track my results based on the hour of the day and the length of my session (to see if I had better results from 7-8pm than I did from 2pm-3pm for example, or if I played better for the first 2 hours of my session than I did during the last 2 hours). I'm finding those calculations are a waste of time as I'm going to need a lot more data to make it worthwhile and (so far) I find I make about the same amount pretty evenly.

It was fun, but I think it's putting too much emphasis on the short-term as you have suggested. One nice side effect is that I have a half-hour reading of my play for the last 50 hours or so. I put this into a graph and what I get is a jagged line heading in a positive direction. If anything, I like this because it shows not to be worried about the short term results because in the long run (assuming you don't alter your play) you're going to end up money ahead.

Maybe I'll keep doing the graph, but only enter results on a sesion by session basis instead of every half hour.

Again, thanks for your help.

jHE

jasonHoldEm
09-28-2003, 12:09 PM
I thought this might be interesting for someone. Here's the graph.

http://members.aol.com/surfnet96/chart.gif

I actually started the graph about a week and a half after I got home, so there's about 20 hours of play that I didn't record. As I said in the post above I'm probably going to stop taking readings ever half hour. But it's cool to look back and see how different ideas/ways of playing changed my results.

At the begining of the graph is where I was still getting comfortable with 2/4, I was playing too tight and wasn't aggressive enough. When things start to go upward at a steeper rate is where I became more confident. The middle part (where there are steep ups and downs) is where are started to really pump the pot on my strong drawing hands and you can see the results of this with the big swings in my results. The last third of the graph or so (the last week roughly) is where I finally am starting to come into my own in terms of balancing aggressive play with the knowledge of when to get out...I'd love for things to be this steady in the future, but I have a feeling it won't happen.

peace,
jHE

Your Mom
09-28-2003, 04:04 PM
Is the X-axis Hours or Sessions or something else?

jasonHoldEm
09-28-2003, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the X-axis Hours or Sessions or something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hours.