PDA

View Full Version : AQs vs. a raise

Gamblor
09-28-2003, 12:14 AM
How would you play AQ-ATs against a raise?

What situations would it be acceptable to cold call this in a full game?

ReRaise
09-28-2003, 02:47 AM
AQs and AJs you can cold call with, especially in late position. Prolly not ATs though.

MD_
09-28-2003, 05:01 AM
I'd say it depends a LOT on the situation, but I would generally re-raise with AQs.

-MD

mrbaseball
09-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Like many things in poker it depends. John Feeney has a nice chapter in "Inside the Poker Mind" addressing AQ after an early position raiser. HEFAP also addresses this.

In most low limit Party Poker type games a call or repop is usally fine. In the higher limit tougher games you may just want to toss them after evaluating game conditions and opponents. I'm finding AJ and AT much easier to get away from after an early raise nowadays. Those hands can break your heart /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ed Miller
09-28-2003, 09:20 AM
You should usually only be cold-calling preflop in limit holdem from late position after several players have already entered the pot.

huzitup2
09-28-2003, 04:01 PM
his reply).

- BTW, this addition does NOT make him wrong; he DID say "usually".

If an EP player open-raised - or raised after one or two players had already limped - I'd be inclined to call IF I was pretty sure that a few more players would call (but not 3-bet).

A-Qs does just fine in a 5-6 way pot; it does better when the likely flop bettor is NOT to your immediate left but it still plays for a profit against weak players even if you have to pay double to see the flop.

I'd give the same answer (with a few "howevers") if you had asked about a small/medium pocket pair.

In this instance (A-Qs) you are looking to make a big hand. You will often win with just a pair but winding up with one pair isn't (and shouldn't) be your goal in a multi-way pot that was raised pre-flop.

- H

"KONG is dead; long live KONG".

ccwhoelse?
09-28-2003, 09:08 PM
to add to everything else

i think Sklansky wrote that cold calling when is pretty much wrong if your the first to act, it's either reraise or fold. someone correct me if i'm wrong PLEASE!