PDA

View Full Version : Ken Warren and Probability

02-19-2002, 11:52 AM
I have been attempting to learn elementary probability theory in order to answer commonly asked Hold'em questions. It disturbs me when the results I get are different from those published by well-known authors. Sklansky and Malmuth are always trustworthy, but the things that appear in some books amaze me. Does Ken Warren, author of The Winner's Guide to Texas Hold'em Poker (Cardoza Publishing, 1996), know what he's talking about? He titles a section on memorizing cards, Pneumonics, a word that refers to the lungs or pneumonia: he was looking for, mnemonics. On page 87, he writes: "If you experience a period where it seems like nothing but low cards are winning the pots, then it is a perfectly legitimate strategy to start playing low cards." Oh, so inanimate objects really do have memories?! I am going to post separately some very strange numbers that appear in Warrens's book. I request that mathematically savvy participants in this forum comment on my methodology and tell me if I'm missing something. Thanks.

02-19-2002, 01:23 PM
That famous sentence ("start playing low cards") from Ken Warren's book has been cited numerous times by just about everybody. But in my experience, his book has been very helpful to my beginner friends. It is a very easy read, and while some of the advice is very dubious, it does help someone get a basic understanding of the game.

That being said, just being an easy read that gets you playing at the tables can be a dangerous thing if you don't start reading books with accurate advice.

02-22-2002, 08:51 PM
I played with Ken Warren once. He was one of the worst players I have ever had the pleasure of sitting with. There's never been a hand he didn't like. I mean shockingly bad.

Mojay