PDA

View Full Version : anyone know this guy?

crockpot
09-27-2003, 10:24 PM
while i was clearing a deposit bonus on intertops playing the $25 PLO8, i noticed there was a guy named Ribbo sitting at all three of my tables. he's up to about $300 combined at the three right now. even though it's clear from reviewing the hand histories that he ran into some particularly idiotic opponents, his overall play seems quite solid, and i'm beginning to think i may need to avoid him at the tables, which is a really rare occurrence at the normally incompetent party tables.

is anyone here Ribbo, or know who he is?

1800GAMBLER
09-27-2003, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't even know the rules of PLO8 nevermind the player.

Anyhow in a full game i wouldn't care about avoiding him even if it was Phil Hellmuth (or someone actually good - ok to be politely correct, someone with good advice), since you'll hardly be in a pot with him and get to watch. I'd avoid games with 3 very good players in, doubtful i'd worry about one who i am 'iffy' is a good player.

Acesover8s
09-27-2003, 11:03 PM
I too have played with Ribbo on many occasions, never seen him play anything other than PLO8. He's a particularly annoying opponent because he criticizes others bad plays when he loses a pot. He tilts very easily, then begins to raise every hand. My strategy with him is always to sit to his right, wait til someone puts a bad beat on him. Then limp with your AA2 type hands, and limp-reraise him all in, he will call with almost anything at that point.

I would say that he's a decent player, but not as good as he'd let you know.

There are other players in this game more dangerous.

crockpot
09-28-2003, 02:10 AM
upon further inspection, i do notice that immediately after losing a big pot he complains about his luck and the beats that are being put on him. he also raises pot pre-flop a lot, although most of these never reach showdown, so it's hard to get a read.

anyone here feel like sharing the names of any of the known dangerous players in the party PLO8 games that they avoid, or is that giving away too much information? you can PM me if you'd like.

JohnG
09-28-2003, 11:49 AM
I think Ribbo is Graham Ribchester. He is a RGP regular, and posts there either as Ribs, or under his real name. He knows his stuff. Aggressive and chats a lot.

I would guess his tilting and chat is just an act.

Acesover8s
09-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Why would someone "act" like they are on tilt and then really give away $200 in 15-20 minutes. And furthermore why would they do this with such frequency? I'm all for having a table image, but that would seem a bit ridiculous.

Acesover8s
09-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Several limpers preflop:

Flop comes Jc3s3h. 5 players check to Ribbo who bets the pot ($3.55). 3 players call.

Turn makes the board Jc3s3h4h. First player leads out with a $5 bet, 1 call, and Ribbo makes it $20 to go. Player behind him calls all in for $16.xx.

Initial bettor also calls the additional $15.

Then Ribbo types the following into chat:

"Ribbo: i would love to know what everyone is smoking"

So, once again Ribbo is lecturing the table about how stupid they are to call his massive bets. So lets sneak ahead and look at everyones hands.

Ribbo holds 8d Kd As 3d. That makes trip 3's
Another player holds c. Thats trip 3's too!
First bettor holds a poorly played Th Jd Jh Qd. Thats a monster. So apparently this player is smoking the nuts.

Luckily for Ribbo though a deuce falls on the river. And while it gives him the worst high, it does give him an A8 combo for low. Somehow it goes check, check and all is right with the world.