PDA

View Full Version : Stack Size question

over_c
09-27-2003, 08:18 PM
How much attention should I pay to stack sizes when buying into a NL game?

I've just started playing the $25 NL games on Party, and I just sat down at a game. I just noticed that 4 people at the table have $40 or more. I now am going to leave this table and search for ones where 1 or 2 people at most have more than $30.

Is this something I should worry about, or not?

Also, while I'm at it, what sort of average pot should I look for while selecting a game?

Thanks for your help.

crockpot
09-27-2003, 08:58 PM
i would not worry about big stacks at all. in fact, i find that the people with the giant stacks at the nlhe and plo tables i sit at are always idiots who got lucky to win a big pot and are giving it back. in fact, i will seek out tables with these giant stacks unless i know the stack holder to be a good player. i would worry much more about learning which regular players are tough opponents, and avoiding sitting down with them.

1800GAMBLER
09-27-2003, 10:19 PM
It's same as crocksucker said. You'll find games with large stack sizes who'll play loose and you'll find games with small stack willing to risk it. Meanwhile you'll find the flip said of it. The players view it was money, not tournment chips.

Al_Capone_Junior
09-28-2003, 09:10 AM
Seeing several stacks of more than the minimum is just fine, in fact it's better than fine. At party, this often means several loose players have gotten lucky and picked up a big pot or two, tho this is not the only possible reason for someone to have a large stack. It's much more unfavorable if you come onto a table and see a bunch of small stacks. The reason behind these two conditions is the same, and it has to do with how much money you stand to win. When everyone has near the max or more, you stand to double your stack. If everyone has tiny stacks, you don't stand to win any more from them than what they have at the table.

At party, the max buy in is very small compared to the blinds. The best strategy (IMO) is to continually keep adding on in order to keep your stack at or near the maximum. Once you win a big pot, and have a big stack, you are much better off. Now you can bet big and use some muscle when you bet.

As for average pot, I think in pot or no limit, the bigger the better. Real big pots usually mean people are way overplaying their hands, which is exactly what you want. Then you're much more likely to get paid off on your big hands.

Leaving a table because the stacks are big is silly. Don't do that. Only stoopy-poopy-scaredy-beavers do that.

al

over_c
09-28-2003, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the detailed answers. I was worrying about this because I have read Doyle's Super System and he mentioned always wanting to have the largest stack at the table.