PDA

View Full Version : Coincidence, luck or poker god direction?

Vince Lepore
09-27-2003, 05:06 AM
I play a lot of heads up tournaments online. I play a few single table, 2 table and full tournaments but mostly just heads up. Not to brag but in April when my son left Vegas he had $.21 in his online account. When he came to Vegas he had $81 in the account. I played for him one day and had it all the way up to $290. Then I played again before he left and when I was done there was $.21 in the account. Hey don't laugh! Imagine what would have happened if I weren't such a good player. Well, because I did not have enough to post the blind in the 3-6 game that I was playing I shut the computer off and sent my son home to Philly and forgot about playing online. I didn't mind cause I really don't like playing online anyway.

Two weeks after my son goes home I decide to go online and use his frequent player points to play in some tournaments. I look at his account and he has $16 in it. He told me when he left that he wasn't going to add anymore money to the account so I got a bit steamed when I saw that he had. At least I thought he had added money. I was wrong. Apparently you can play .$02-04 holdem on line. That's exactly what he did! And he won! Why wouldn't he, I taught him didn't I. That's how he got the 16 bucks in the account. Wow, a bank roll for dad, I thought. So I played a while and he played a while and then he left for Laos in June. When he left we had built the BR up to $70. Not bad from $.21, I must say. Well to make a long story short, I began playing $5 to $20 headsup NL tourneys with his money in June. The account now has $1812. Pretty damn o.k. I must say!

Anyway, this story is about coincidence or voodoo or something akin to both, not my online prowess. O.K. here goes. I have only played in three live poker games online since I took over my sons account in June. Today, for some reason that is beyond me, other than I am beginning to like the game, I decided to play PL Omaha with $1 and $2 blinds. I won $80 but that's not what this is about either. In the last two hands dealt to me I had Aces. I won them both. This is not a bad beat story. The first was of no consequence. I limped in early position looking for a raise. It didn't happen. 3 or 4 players limped. I didn't like my play but won the hand on the flop with a pot size bet. The very next hand I pick up As,Ad,8s,8d. Wow! Dodble suited with Aces and eights! Gotta love it! Now I'm under the gun and decide to put in a little raise to sweeten the pot and hope for a reraise! I raise to $4. Everybody folded! Everybody! I clicked the sit out button and got out of the game and shut the computer off. I was not a happy camper.

I put on my sneakers, zippered my fly, put on a shirt and headed outside for a walk. I ended up at the Four Queens in downtown Vegas. I decided to check out the tourney that was going on and see what else might be in the works. The day tourney was long ago over but the second chance night Stud 8 or better was still going. There were also 2 live games going. One of them, believe it or not was PL Omaha! I live in Vegas and can tell you that the only time you see this game spread is during tournaments. And lo and behold here it was being played right in front of me. Because of my recent experience I decided to watch. The blinds were $5 and $10 with a mississippi (button) $20 stradle. I watched exactly 2 hands. The second hand went like this. UTG limped: MP folded: Cutoff: raised to $40: Upon raising he made the comment "I've been raising every hand you don't think I'm gonna stop now". Everyone folded to UTG who reraised the pot ($185). He had about $800 left in front of him. The cutoff, who had him covered and appeared a bit tipsy from to much beer, called. But not before grumbling and making the dealer count the pot. The flop came Js,8c,7c. UTG now bets the pot: $550. the cutoff beats him to the center of the table raising enough to put UTG all in. UTG calls. The turn was the Qd and the river was the 2 of diamonds. UTG turns over his hand first and show Aces and eights 9double suited, no less) giving him a set of eights! The cutoff turns over A,T,9,4 for a straight and takes down the pot, busting UTG in the process.

Now I ask you, how is it possible that something like this could happen? Was it just a coincidence? Is there any statistical way of making sense out of this. Or is there in fact a Poker God? And if so what is he trying to tell me?
Should I be gratefull that no one called my raise and I won the blinds? I cannot believe that. In fact I liked UTG's play of the hand! So where does this leave me? Us? Oh, man "to be or not to be" what's going on!

Vince

Lazymeatball
09-27-2003, 05:38 AM
take your pills

HDPM
09-27-2003, 11:02 AM
To go to the 4 Queens you may have had to put on a shirt, but I'm not sure you had to zip your pants. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Greg (FossilMan)
09-27-2003, 08:59 PM
With true randomness, few things are probable, all things are possible, and none of it has any deeper meaning. Or to say it more completely, only choices have meaning, not the results.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Gitz
09-28-2003, 07:44 AM
So where does this leave me? Right around the corner from a brown bag sipping answer.

youtalkfunny
10-01-2003, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I put on my sneakers, zippered my fly, put on a shirt and headed outside for a walk. I ended up at the Four Queens in downtown Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either you went for a VERY LONG walk...

...or you live in a crappy neighborhood! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

scalf
10-01-2003, 07:38 AM
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif vince,

your mission, should you decide to accept it.....

is to buy plane tix to minnesota...fly there within a week; play every day for 9 days; then fly back to home...

gl

this tape will not seld-destruct; in fact; it is not a tape..

gl

scalf

trip coordinator..

life experiences..

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif

ACBob
10-02-2003, 01:53 AM
Vince,

This must have been an omen. It is not playing Aces & Eights, it is laying off PLO. - /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob