PDA

View Full Version : 96c in the BB facing a major raise on river

PAUL-IN
09-27-2003, 03:25 AM
Here is a doozy..

i get 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the BB, two callers, SB folds, three way action. I've been sitting tight for over an hour then a nice surge of cards comes my way. first limper has me covered with about $70, i have about $55, second limper has around $35. we play 10-20 cent blinds with a 5 cent ante.

flop is A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. i bet $1.20, call, call. turn is a 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif. i check, $70 guy bets $1, i raise to $4, he says, "nice!", then calls...

river comes a 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. i bet $1 just to get him to call, but he raises me $20 more! i think, look at him, and say to him, "i have a flush." he says, "me too."

now, i know by saying that while i contemplate the call, i am saying that i do NOT have the nut flush. how could i have played it better here?

/images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

redmarion
09-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Check and keep your mouth shut. Hope he bets small if you plan to call with your weak flush.

I'm amazed at the players who tell what they have facing a raise or putting in a bet when they have a weak hand.

I wouldn't make the "post-oak" bet trying to get a cheap shown down. It totally gives away the weakness of your play. The strongest play would be to (a) check or (b) bet just a little under the full pot (3/4's). Never tell what you have. Poker is about mistakes. How's the opponent gonna make a mistake if you tell him what to do!

PAUL-IN
09-27-2003, 11:19 AM
yeah he spooked me good; actually i spooked myself by opening my big mouth! i'll try to be a little more anti-social, but damn, i finally folded and he showed me the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. argh.