PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations please

02-17-2002, 11:44 AM
Since I live in England where limit poker is positively frowned upon (stupid I know) I would be grateful for any recommendations you may have for good reading material on pot-limit poker. It looks like I'm going to have to learn this game if I ever want to play anywhere other than the net.

Thanks in advance

02-17-2002, 12:43 PM
Ciaffone and Reuben Pot Limit Poker. Reuben in English and they cover some of the games played only in England. If you intend to play Omaha, get Ciaffone's book on Omaha. I think that is necessary to get what you need out of the PLO section in the pot limit book.

02-17-2002, 02:03 PM
Championship Pot-limit and No-limit Hold 'em by TJ Cloutier is alright but not as good as the Ciaffone and Reuben book. There is a copy of TJ's for sale on ebay right now. Retails for $40.00, maybe you can get it cheap. Bidding is at $15.00.

02-18-2002, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys have ordered the Ciaffone book on your recommendation

02-18-2002, 05:18 PM
Where did you order it from.

02-19-2002, 07:30 AM
I got it from Amazon. They have a special deal where you can order that book and "Improve your poker" by Ciaffone for a special combination price.

02-19-2002, 10:18 AM
Improve Your Poker is good. It will improve your poker. I still recommend getting Ciaffones little book on Omaha if you are going to play pot limit Omaha at all. The PLO section of the pot limit book assumes you have read the Omaha book. I have not gotten to play any pot limit Omaha but have both because I want to at some point. I understood more about Omaha after reading the Omaha book. I had the pot limit and no-limit book first and the Omaha section didn't exactly sink in the first time.

I have only gotten to play live no-limit holdem once. Some ideas in Ciaffone's book helped me from getting instantly massacred. I wasn't good but I wasn't helpless either. Enjoy the books.

02-19-2002, 12:36 PM
Thanks HDPM,

I'm still trying to get to grips with hold'em never mind Omaha! I would like to learn some other games other than hold'em though, and when I do this book will be on my list.

Take care

Jess