PDA

View Full Version : 20-40 Taj Hand...How was my play?

Jeffage
09-26-2003, 06:33 PM
I have KQo in the BB in a real wild ram and jam 20-40 game at the Taj. Crazy loose but somewhat passive without the nuts player-though he may bet a scary board if checked to- (he will literally limp with something like K5o utg if running good) limps. 2 others limp. SB folds, I check. Flop is Qx6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, I have the King of spades. I bet out, wild player raises, others fold, I go to reraise but accidently put out 55 instead of 60 and am forced to call (damn tough string rules at Taj). The turn is a 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, putting 3 spades on board. I bet, he raises, I call (comments?). Seeing as he isn't tight I felt I had to show down heads up...but does his general loose passivity lean this toward a fold...I think my Ks is very likely a clean out but he could have the As (though that seems to be fearing monsters under the bed). Anyway...river is another Queen, the Queen of spades. I check, he bets, I raise. and he starts going into a huddle...and he says, u got this beat and flips over a queen. He finally calls. I turn over the flush. Results to follow. What do you think of river play also?

Thanks,

Jeff

Tyler Durden
09-26-2003, 07:48 PM
When you mentioned this hand to me I said maybe check-calling the turn would be better because you have outs and you don't want to pay the 2 bets to get to the end. He raised the turn even after you tried to raise the flop so I'd think I was behind at this point.

mikelow
09-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Like the way you played it. Of course I would three-bet the flop, but otherwise well played.

Hope his hand wasn't A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, though I'm 95% sure it wasn't.

Baltimore Ron
09-27-2003, 01:56 AM
Jeff,

The 20-40 Taj game IS amazing. It must be that 4 chip / 8 chip structure that gets everyone's blood pumping. As Worm said: "Stacks and stacks of checks..."

As to the hand. I think the bet/no-bet decision on the turn when the board 3-flushes or pairs is one of the toughest in limit poker, especially against an unpredictable player. (see my post "Big Laydown" for how to screw it up royally.)

From your description of this player I'm guessing you won the hand. He probably would have reraised with the nut flush, especially because he had one of the queens in his hand, making full houses just a little less likely.

BR

Jeffage
09-27-2003, 08:31 PM
Hey folks...thanks for the responses. After showing the Q, he finally called so I thought I won. But I was wrong...he had Q3 and took the pot with Q's full of 3's. He apparently thought I had a bigger boat with Q9 or Q6 (blech). He slowrolled it a little too but oh well. Thanks for the comments.

Jeff

Sehr Gut
09-28-2003, 08:40 AM
I agree with Tyler that a check call on the turn is to recomend. You dont wanna get raised here and there is a big chance you will.

On the river i would bet out and call if i got raised. I would assume him to threebet me if he have me beat and maybe call with a hand that he would have checked if checked to.

MRBAA
09-28-2003, 01:10 PM
I like Sklansky's advice on turn play here -- check/call when you have a hand with outs that you are going to the river with, bet when you could be best but have no outs.

And that's a nasty beat.

brad
09-28-2003, 02:46 PM
'As to the hand. I think the bet/no-bet decision on the turn when the board 3-flushes or pairs is one of the toughest in limit poker, '

i think here its an easy check (especially against agressive players) if youre afraid of flush since you have high spade and also it looks like opponent will bet turn so money goes in.