PDA

View Full Version : Favorite card games other then poker?

trillig
09-26-2003, 07:48 AM
Here are my favorite ones:

Cribbage
Big 2
Spades
Euchre
Pinochle
31 [sometimes also called SKAT]

First game I remember learning was Pinochle, believe it or not I was pretty good by age 7... a good starting game I think since, it isn't an easy one at all and I thought everyone played it with a WIDOW, and none of the computer versions I could find matched how we played it. 8(

Old maid be gone!

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-t

Wake up CALL
09-26-2003, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here are my favorite ones:

Cribbage
Big 2
Spades
Euchre
Pinochle
31 [sometimes also called SKAT]

First game I remember learning was Pinochle, believe it or not I was pretty good by age 7... a good starting game I think since, it isn't an easy one at all and I thought everyone played it with a WIDOW, and none of the computer versions I could find matched how we played it. 8(

Old maid be gone!

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-t

[/ QUOTE ]

Good topic.....

1)Pinochle
2)Tonk
3)Bridge
4)Hearts

trillig
09-26-2003, 07:13 PM
Hi, thanks!

Never heard of TONK, is this it?

http://www.bsfs.org/bsfstonk.htm

-t

baggins
09-26-2003, 07:16 PM
euchre
cribbage
gin
pinochle
hearts
spades

Phat Mack
09-27-2003, 07:20 AM
This is a pretty good description of Tonk. Rules change from place to place. Not everybody plays the 49 point tonk, not everybody plays little tonk (15 or fewer points). Some play that when you lay off on another's down ed cards, then that person can't go down for one round. Lot's of variety in the game.

My favorite games:

Rubber Bridge
Gin
Tonk
Sheep's head
Hearts

trillig
09-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Sheep's Head?

Where is some GOOD info on that one please? 8)

-t

Phat Mack
09-27-2003, 05:24 PM
http://www.pagat.com/schafk/shep.html

http://www.sheepshead.org/

I've always played the four-handed version. On a skill level, I would place it between eucre and 500. In other words, you can't be TOO drunk to play it.

Wake up CALL
09-28-2003, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, thanks!

Never heard of TONK, is this it?

http://www.bsfs.org/bsfstonk.htm

-t

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, those are the exact rules we use. In some places it is called "back-alley bridge.

PlanoPoker
09-28-2003, 05:44 AM
Orgeta (Orgeda?) is a lithuanian card game that has a trump suit much like spades or bridge. I think its far superior to hearts and spades, but it is completely unknown in the U.S. Has anyone else heard of this game?

Phat Mack
09-28-2003, 08:01 AM
I used to play a great game called back alley bridge in the service. It was a cut-throat bridge game for 3 or 4 players. It consisted of deals or 13, 12, 11...1 cards. It had the interesting feature of making the 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif the highest trump. The trump suit was determined by turning up the top card of the stub and everybody bid the number of tricks they would take. Really excellent game.

Wake up CALL
09-28-2003, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to play a great game called back alley bridge in the service. It was a cut-throat bridge game for 3 or 4 players. It consisted of deals or 13, 12, 11...1 cards. It had the interesting feature of making the 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif the highest trump. The trump suit was determined by turning up the top card of the stub and everybody bid the number of tricks they would take. Really excellent game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, we played that game in the Army as well Mack. I'm trying to remember what name we used. I plum forgot about that one. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Seems like we went down from 13 cards to one and then all the way back up to 13 cards per player again to determine the winner.

KJS
09-29-2003, 12:11 AM
Nope. Sounds fun. Any rules online?

Ever play Doo-Ra (phonetic English)? Or as we used to say "Dude Rock". Its Russian; my friend who lived in Moscow taught it to me and others. Good hanging out at the pub playing cards game. No winner, just one big loser.

I also recently learned a Czech game, the name of which I forget. 13 cards per player. All cards are ranked, Twos are the highest, 2 spades being the best, 3 diamonds (?) the worst. First player lays anyhing from a 5 card poker hand to a single card, other players must play a higher hand of same combination until no one else can beat it (you can pass, but not re-enter after doing so). Last player to play on the combo starts a new one. First one out of cards wins. You know it?

KJS

Mike Burchett
09-29-2003, 09:22 AM
PITCH!!!!
and Spades

Phat Mack
09-30-2003, 04:23 AM
Seems like we went down from 13 cards to one and then all the way back up to 13 cards per player again to determine the winner.

It's been a while, but I think that's right. You go down to one card, play one card twice, then back up to 13. All the bridge players liked this game when they couldn't find four for bridge.

Phat Mack
09-30-2003, 04:39 AM
This thread has really brought back memories. A cool game that, as far as I know, is only played in Texas and Mexico is Coon Can (Conquien in Mexico). Much like gin with a different strategic spin. Played with the Mexican deck - no 8's, 9's, 10's- each player gets ten cards and the top card of the stock is turned over. To pick up a card you must meld it or pass. If both players reject a card then a new one is turned over. To win you must meld eleven cards; no knocks. You can pick up cards from your melds to use in other melds if doing so leaves a legal meld. You can force your opponent to pick up a card if it fits one of his melds-this can screw him /images/graemlins/wink.gif . Good game, plays fast and teaches defensive discarding.

trillig
10-08-2003, 04:32 PM
That game you describe sounds like BIG 2 a game popular in Japan I believe.

The 2's are the top card in each suite, the only rule I don't understand is the first cards laid down have some restrictions, I have an old freeware version and I could never figure out what the requirement is for sure, but I lost track of it and have played it in years, very tricky game!

-t

KJS
10-09-2003, 02:57 AM
You are right about the name; it is "Big 2" in English.

I seem to remember that the person with the lowest card (3 of whatever suit is lowest) goes first. I don't remember if they had to use that 3 or not. If I had to guess I would say they didn't because I remember many games starting with 5 card hands, which would be rare if you were forced to play a certain card.

KJS

ripdog
10-09-2003, 03:15 AM
My favorites:

Pinochle
Cribbage
Spite and Malice
Spades

trillig
10-11-2003, 12:47 AM
That might be why I was confused with starting card ability.
I remember trying to play trips as a starter hand and it refusing to let me, but then I saw other computer players do it.
It was a very hard game to win but still a blast to try, I think there is a freeware version for PALM OS also.

-t

elwoodblues
10-14-2003, 05:25 PM
Pinochle (double-deck)
Canasta (though, I'm pretty sure we play a bastardized version of the game)

Moyer
10-22-2003, 08:06 AM
Pepper
Bullshit
Spades
Go Fish /images/graemlins/grin.gif

trillig
10-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Pepper?

What's the basic rules on that one?

Bullshit is great fun YEAH! I haven't played that is a long time, so long I almost forgot about it.

-t

Moyer
10-22-2003, 07:28 PM
http://www.pagat.com/euchre/pepper.html

I was surprised I didn't see it already on the list, until I figured out that for some weird reason it's mostly only played in Iowa. It's a lot like Euchre.

Yeah, I'm not sure I actually remember how to play Bullshit, but I remember laughing my ass off when we used to play. Kind of a bluffing game (hence the name).

Moyer
10-22-2003, 07:32 PM
Lately I've been finding FreeCell pretty addictive /images/graemlins/smile.gif