PDA

View Full Version : Book: The Biggest Game In Town by A Alvarez

02-10-2002, 01:31 AM
Is this book worth reading?

Thanks

02-10-2002, 04:36 AM
yes if what you are looking for is to be greatly entertained by a writer who is also a poker player. mr. alvarez writes beautifully and the book is great from the standpoint of trying to better understand the comings and goings of the high rolling poker legends of the past few decades. i have read almost all of the books written on poker, fiction, non, and instructional and i have to say that this one rates up there with the best because it isn't written by a poker player trying to write but just the opposite. enjoy and let me know what you think. then check out anthony holden's book, he is a friend of a. alvarez's and his book may be even a better read, because once again he was a writer before a player. none of this was intended to slight the poker players who have written books only to point out that there is a difference from a readers standpoint especially when dealing with books that aren't neccesarily of an instructional nature, anyways enjoy!

02-10-2002, 07:59 AM
from what I know it is out of print and I have looked for it. if anyone knows where copies can be obtained please let is know!

Pat

02-10-2002, 08:59 AM
i liked , more for enjoyment than helping poker game develop..gl

02-10-2002, 04:03 PM
Thanks I've been looking for this book and found on on Ebay.

02-10-2002, 06:22 PM
http://www.abebooks.com/

02-11-2002, 12:43 AM
This is a very entertaining book centering around the 1981 World Series. It is my absolute favorite poker book. Alvarez published another book last year called Poker: Bets, Bluffs, and Bad Beats, which includes some of the same material, and a lot of what is written in it is 20 years old, but it also has some really neat pictures of old poker memorabilia, so I enjoyed it overall. Holden's book is a fun read too, as is Spanier's Total Poker. None of these books is going to help your game one lick though. Stick with the 2+2 books for that. But I think that it is important to recognize that there is more to poker than squeezing every nickel you can out of your oppenents (let's hope so for my sake), and I think that books such as these illustrate what a wonderfully rich game poker is.

02-14-2002, 11:57 PM
According to amazon.com, a new edition is being published in April 2002.