PDA

View Full Version : Blind play pre-flop

Karatitis
09-25-2003, 06:25 PM
I've heard different opinions on what is supposedly correct strategy for blind-play pre-flop, especially when it's been raised. Perhaps the strategy may change if the the game is loose-passive vs. a tight aggressive game.

Specifically, I was wondering if one should call with any 2 suited cards in the big blind if there is a pre-flop raise and 5 or more callers? Also, what if you had 7-2 offsuit in the small blind and the whole table calls...would it be right to call? How many bets does the pot need to have in order to make it correct to call in the blinds with any 2 cards, and any 2 suited cards? - the big blind and the small blind?

irchans
09-26-2003, 10:07 AM
If you are the big blind and there is a raise and 5 or more callers, then the pot odds are about 11 to 1. 7-2 suited is the worst suited hand and it wins at least 9.75% of the time, so it seems reasonable to call with all suited hands.

If you are the small blind, the entier table calls, and you somehow know that the big blind will not raise, then you are getting 19 to 1 pot odds. 7-2 offsuit wins at least 5.83% of the time, so calling looks reasonable there also.

chaos
09-26-2003, 01:05 PM
I think those percentages are based on everyone staying in for the show down. The winning percentages for an actual game are much less.

With these trash hands you will not usually be staying past the flop without two pair or a flush draw. So you won't be around to catch your card and make trips when you only flop one pair. Also you do not keep score by how many pots you win but by how much money you win. Making your little flush and losing can be expensive.

You might want to pose this question in one of the Hold'em forums instead of the probability forum. You will get more responses.