PDA

View Full Version : One reason I've mellowed so much

Tommy Angelo
09-25-2003, 12:34 PM
Here's an odd hand from yesterday morning with a barely connected afterthought.

I arrived at AJ's at 7:00 AM. The $15-30 game was threehanded, I made four, which is perfect for me in so many ways, most of which is that at four-handed, there are no drops of any kind, a totally free game, and at five-handed, it goes to $2 PER HAND, one to the house, one to the jackpot.

Secondmost of which is that fourhanded is my best game and just by thinking it so makes it so.

Third of which is that if a game is threehanded at 7:00 AM, it is always good. Not because people are stuck or tired or any of that. But simply because it exists. I have been in bad threehanded games, lots of them, and the one thing they all have in common is that they don't last long at all, and that's because in order for it to be a bad game with only three players in it, all three must be smart players playing smart, and smart players, when making smart decisions, don't stick around in bad threehanded games.

Fourhanded $15-30. Two good players playing well and the third guy was special. I had pocket sevens in the big blind. One good player folded, the special player limped, and the other good player folded the small blind. Headsup.

I bet the flop in the dark. The flop came 4-4-4. He called. I bet the turn in the dark. The turn was a three. He called. I bet the river in the dark. The river was another three. This is where it gets a little weird.

He sat and looked at the board sideways for a second, then he came out with four chips in his hand, slowly, talking. He said, “Well, it looks like a split pot. So I guess I’ll raise it.” He completed the statement when his chips-in-hand were still well above the table and not very far extended. Then he placed the four chips as a bet, and returned to his stack for more chips, twice, to complete the announced raise. All this took plenty long enough for me to decide that he was for real, it wasn’t an act, and that I should reraise, which I did. He didn’t do any more thinking or talking. He quickly called my reraise, and upon seeing my hand, he looked back at the board, and he tapped the table a little, and mucked face down.

The reason my game and game-selection have mellowed so much over the years, the reason I hardly ever make spunky moves out of position against good players, the reason I’m always eyeing the door, and the game, the reason I read mike l’s posts and see fond ghosts of my past, is because finally I’ve settled into a consistent and comfortable life of maximum return with minimum risk.

Tommy

andyfox
09-25-2003, 12:53 PM
"fourhanded is my best game and just by thinking it so makes it so."

Huh? I might think I'm the Sultan of Swat or the Baal Shem Tov, but thinking it so doesn't make it so.

Other than that, splendid post.

andyfox
09-25-2003, 01:00 PM
http://www.baseballhistorian.com/html/babe_sultan.htm

http://www.kheper.net/topics/Kabbalah/Baal_Shem_Tov.htm

mike l.
09-25-2003, 01:53 PM
that was a sweet post. the last line says it all for everyone. but this line in particular really spoke to me:

"the reason I’m always eyeing the door"

good one tommy. stay mellow.

JTrout
09-25-2003, 02:04 PM

Huh? I might think I'm the Sultan of Swat or the Baal Shem Tov, but thinking it so doesn't make it so.
-
I think I disagree. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RollaJ
09-25-2003, 04:01 PM
Never thought Id encounter a "Baal Shem Tov" reference on 2+2 /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

M2d
09-25-2003, 07:43 PM
So that's where you got that big stack you were sitting on at noon. How's the car, by the way?

Boopotts
09-26-2003, 12:13 AM
I read your post, and my thoughts turned to my own mellowing, as it were, and the attitude I've adopted which I believe precipitated it.

I don't know how many hands of poker I've been dealt-- I'm going to guess it's over 400,000, but that's just a rough calculation-- but I do know that I've seen just about everything that can happen at a poker table. I've flopped straight flushes and lost. I've flopped quads and lost. I've won a bad beat jackpot where my share was about 32 grand. I've lost over seven thousand dollars in one hand of no limit, where I semi-bluffed the turn with a nut flush draw and two overcards, and got called. In fact, as of two months ago, the only thing I hadn't seen was somebody three-bet preflop and fold to a cap-- but now, thanks to some joker online, I've seen that too.

So what it comes down to is this-- having seen almost everything, and done almost everything, I just can't get the energy to sweat the details. Should I limp UTG with AJo? Should I three-bet a guy preflop with pocket 8's? Should I call someone down with pocket K's when an Ace drops on the turn and he fly-bets? The answer, I've determined,is that in the long run these decisions just don't matter much (at least not in the games I play, and so it follows that it's not worth my effort to agonize over them.

Sometimes I make the right decision, sometimes I don't. I've screwed around with innumberable strategies to opimize my profits, and to make these decisions easier, and what I've learned is that none of this fussing as any tangible bearing on whether or not I win that week, or that month, or that year.

Poker's a fun game. But it's even funner when you're not constantly counting your stacks.

Guy

elindauer
09-26-2003, 02:20 AM
You bet every street blind... this is your new, mellow, stable, low risk game? I'm embarrassed to imagine how you would feel about my game. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tommy Angelo
09-26-2003, 05:09 AM
Boopotts, you nailed it, everything.

Philuva
09-29-2003, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Other than that, splendid post.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is you really don't think you are the Sultan of Swat of the Baal Shem Tov, even if you say you do. You can say it, but you don't believe it in your heart. Tommy really thinks and believes fourhanded is his best game. Therefore he is going to play his best game.