PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a question

02-08-2002, 07:31 PM
I saw the the following post in the archives and wanted to know what rule the newbie was violating?

"Later on the new guy had made a king high flush on the turn and got rivered when another flush card fell on the river. He attempted a string raise on the river when he was bet into, earning him angry comments by 4 of the 'pros' at the table. I suggested they let the dealer explain the rules.

The woman who made the runner-runner nut flush on the river tossed her hand at him and said sarcastically 'Lookit that - I got the nuts - you still wanna raise??'"

--------------------

Now I understand the woman had the nut flush, but what rule was the newbie violating?

02-08-2002, 07:36 PM
you cant place chips for the call, then go back to your stack and grab more to raise. you have to either heve em in your hand, or call out"raise"

however in this situation, the gal shoulda told the 'pros' to shut up. she had the nuts, why not let him get away with a string bet here....

haha i wouldve welcomed it...

b

02-08-2002, 08:20 PM
This reminds me of a hand I played a while back.

I held the nuts both ways in Omaha hi-lo 8 or better in a home game I play in. I bet the max ($2) into an already decent pot on the turn and this wild kid threw his hand into the muck, then quickly snatched it back. Some people bitched about it, but I said I didn't mind. He called and we saw the river. We capped the river and I scooped him. Man was he pissed. He whined up a storm about having to use two cards from his hand. I dealt the next hand and he immediately raised $2. One of my buddies called. The flop came K-8-8 and they capped it. A rag fell on the turn and they capped again. The river brought the case 8. The wild kid bet out hard and fast. My buddy thought for a second and threw his pair of Kings into the muck face up. Wild boy showed us his 8. Moral of the story? If someone wants to let you get away with a string raise--get out fast! (and don't tilt over it)

02-08-2002, 10:53 PM
The last 2 times I accidently attempted a string raise and someone complained, the subsequent cards made them wish they hadn't. The scenario was like this: early player opens, I attempt to raise, late position complains about string raise and calls. Next card pairs my door card, I bet, they fold. The late position player would not have called my string raise and would have saved a bet.

02-09-2002, 06:15 AM
i was playin a LL table and these idiots are bettin everything. sitting right next to each other... Ax, Kx, there goin for it. may as well have been playin blind.

anyway...

after about an hour the first guy comes in raising for the 3 bet. the next guy puts his chips plus not enough for 1/2 the raise, then goes back to his stack to finish his raise. the 1st guy calls a string raise. after seein the 2nd guys face, i was laughin my ass off. the 1st guy looks at me quizically and i say, "what? did you wanna be the one to cap it?" still kinda laughin. the whole table kinda chuckled. he didnt get it.

i told this to another guy who was takin a break during that hand, he started laughin too. yer kidding me!!! no way!!! hahaha was his response.

made my night.

b