PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this blind hand?

Acesover8s
09-25-2003, 12:30 AM
$1-$2 NLHE. First hand in, I've got Q8o ($98) in the BB. 2 players limp, I check this monster. Flop comes QT2 rainbow.

Checked to MP ($450)who bets the minimum, all fold, and I just call, figuring I'd check raise the turn if an innocent card came off.

Turn is the rainbow colored 5. I check and he bets $20 into a $11 pot. What hand do you put him on? What do you do?

sdplayerb
09-25-2003, 02:50 AM
I put him on 2 pair.
If I am checking raising, it'd be on the flop. And I do prefer that play to betting first.

Wardfish
09-25-2003, 05:31 AM
What hand do you put him on?

Who cares.

What do you do?

Let him take it.

He has position, the initiative in the betting and more chips than you.

You have top pair/no kicker and $2 in the pot. If the pot gets big I dont fancy your chances of winning it.

1800GAMBLER
09-25-2003, 05:50 AM
This doesn't look like it will suit your games but it happened in my old games a lot. The min. bet became an alternative to checking when slowplaying a monster, since in my games _no one_ folded to the min bet then usually they put in a monster bet on the turn and players just get confused.

... maybe he had his account locked too and moved to that site. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Graham
09-25-2003, 09:11 AM
Aces,
You've got 2 opponents and you flop top pair/crap kicker. What's wrong with betting your hand - say sticking out a fiver to see if the $7 preflop belongs to you? Shut down if you get any takers.

Ignatius
09-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Easy fold. If you want to play your top pair/no kicker you should have bet the flop - planning to check raise is pretty much a pure bluff and means wasting the pair value of your hand as you might as well do it with no hand at all.
I'd put him on a made hand, not necessarily big but probably better than yours, that he want to protect against a draw.

Zag
09-26-2003, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... planning to check raise is pretty much a pure bluff and means wasting the pair value of your hand as you might as well do it with no hand at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a brilliant observation, and says it well. I know that I would never have considered a check-raise in this case -- I'd have bet out and then shut down if I faced resistance -- but now I know why. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Al_Capone_Junior
09-26-2003, 02:11 PM
Chunk it. Looks like he slowplayed the flop and then tried to catch someone with a hand on the turn. For THAT much money, it's just not worth it. You're almost certainly going to be facing another big bet on the river too, and then what?

al