PDA

View Full Version : Republican Presidential Candidate Low Moments

adios
09-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Ray's post about Arnold prompted me to do this post. Republicans have had some low moments in presidential campaigns and just outright bull. Here are my five "lowest" moments:

1. Nixon saying he had a plan to end the war in Viet Nam but he was keeping it a secret.

2. The dirty campaign tricks of Nixon in 72 including the Watergate breakin.

3. Ronald Reagan saying he was going to cut taxes, build up the military and balance the budget.

4. George Bush Sr. - Read my lips, no new taxes.

5. The "Willie Horton" sleaze commercials that Sr. did.

ACPlayer
09-24-2003, 11:42 PM
3. 2 out of 3 is pretty good for a politician.

I generally liked the Reagan years.

Nixon was the smartest of the four of them, but perhaps too smart.

Bush Sr. was OK, but pretty much out of touch.

Bush Jr. -- Sigh!

Chris Alger
09-25-2003, 01:29 AM
1. Efforts by Nixon's 1968 campaign to prevent a breakthrough in the Paris peace negotiations.

2. Efforts by Reagan's 1980 campaign to prevent a breakthrough in the Iranian hostage negotiations.

3. Reagan's 1980 attempt to terrify the public by exaggerating the "Soviet threat."

4. Nixon's illegal fundraising in 1972.

5. Eisenhower's failure to defend George Marshall from McCarthy's slanders in 1952.

adios
09-25-2003, 05:20 AM
"I generally liked the Reagan years."

I did too but Chris obviously didn't.

adios
09-25-2003, 05:22 AM
Interesting. I'm fairly certain 10 would be a an easy list to complete for you /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

ACPlayer
09-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Regarding Chris:

True, but he has obviously been something other than Republican for a long time. He does have some of the best arguments on these thread though.

Interestingly, of all the Presidents the one I would most like to have dinner with is Carter followed by Clinton. They are obviously the nicest (Carter) and intelligent (Clinton) of them all - neither of whom I voted for!

MMMMMM
09-25-2003, 10:38 AM
""He does have some of the best arguments on these thread though"

Actually Chris has some of the worst arguments but most documentation of anyone in these threads.

ACPlayer
09-25-2003, 10:43 AM
They are some of the best arguments. Whether you agree with the conclusions is not the point.

Anyway, best and worst are subjective so we dont have to agree on it. Unless we first sit down and come up with a mutually agreed to set of criteria for good arguments.

Wake up CALL
09-25-2003, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They are some of the best arguments. Whether you agree with the conclusions is not the point.

Anyway, best and worst are subjective so we dont have to agree on it. Unless we first sit down and come up with a mutually agreed to set of criteria for good arguments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree ACPlayer, the criteria is important. How about beginning with an accurate interpretation of the posted links. Oops, Chris fails that one, OK, perhaps a willingness to admit when he makes a mistake, nope, strike two. Well I give up I need some help with this one. I'm sure there is some way to construe Chris's arguements into being of a high quality.

Ray Zee
09-25-2003, 06:45 PM
nixon thought he was above the law

reagan thought the stars determined fate

carter wanted to make the world a nice place

clinton wanted to make the u.s. a nice place

bush wants to help his friends in big business make nice

johnson took away the lives of many of my friends for his ego. may he rot in his grave.