PDA

View Full Version : Playing in sunglasses....

06-06-2002, 01:33 PM
OK, this is something I have wondered abut since day 1... players in sunglasses! Does it REALLY give you an edge? Does it REALLY intimidate? I don't feel intimidated by this, and I have not noticed these players are any better than others!

I have heard plyers do this so they can shield their eyes, and also look at other "unsuspecting" players without detection...My only experience with this is at the beach /images/smile.gif

I guess I asking ... DOES IT REALLY MATTER?

Laddy

06-06-2002, 02:01 PM
I don't think so - especially not at lower limit games. I think those people are a joke. If someone can consistently beat a low limit game (3/6 for example) then they should move up limits anyway. Unless you play 20 hours a day, winning 1-1.5BB an hour at 3/6 isn't much money.

I don't pay much attention to those folks. They do it because they 'think' it makes them look more intimidating. Perhaps there are a few who actually do watch other players - but who knows.

Certainly a debateable subject but when I sit at a table with anyone wearing sunglasses I'm not immediately on alert from them. I let them play like everyone else and see what happens.

06-06-2002, 02:32 PM
Sunglasses aren't intimidating; in fact, they are often comical. But they do have some use, I think.

If you're watching the players when the flop comes, you'll sometimes be able to pick up a tell by looking at their eyes. Maybe a guy will look at the chips of another player in the hand when the flop comes; and maybe that means he caught the flop. If you're attentive, and that tell is real, then you know quite a lot about that player's hand. If he's wearing good sunglasses, you won't be able to see what he does with his eyes. So, the sunglasses could be a disguise of sorts.

I'm not paranoid, but I do think that some players wear them so that they can see indents on the backs of cards. Eliminating lighting glare should help in seeing these things. I only thought of this one after playing at Harrah's in East Chicago where the cards are a wreck.

Some people undoubtedly wear them because they saw someone they think is cool doing it. Some may have a real reason.

A few weaks ago I played 4-8 at Bellagio with an older woman wearing sunglasses and headphones. I guess that made her a very serious player. /images/smile.gif

Regards,

Troy

PS: I do not wear sunglasses, and I have only been caught scoping the other players once that I know of. We were heads up preflop. The dealer starts to lay the flop, I look at my opponent and he's looking right back at me.

06-06-2002, 03:19 PM
it can help...eyes can be a great indicator of strength of hand...but there are other ways to find out.

some just wear em to look cool. i like to wear em, so they dont know where im looking.

some players, usually newbies, can get intimidated, but your right, if theyre bad players, the coolest shades in the world arent going to help. but theyll look cool rebuying a rack though... /images/wink.gif

b

06-06-2002, 03:58 PM
When the flop comes I'm never watching it. I'm always watching the 'tricky' player thats still in the hand - as I mentioned in a previous post, I've found that most people that are on some type of a draw will scrutinize the flop for several seconds and even sometimes go back for a second look at the hole cards. Now, if you've got a pair under there - there ain't now way you have to go back and look.

If the flop hits someone the tendency is to look away from the flop - look down at their checks, start flipping them around, etc...

Now, great players pay attention to this and can get good reads off people's subconscious movements like these. The eyes are important to as to be able to be checking someone out but they can't tell if you are or not.

Someone posted on here a while back also about not even looking at your hole cards until the betting gets to you. I've found this to be a great thing as you don't talk yourself into playing something that you probably shouldn't. Just watch the action and think quietly to yourself..."ok, early limper....2 UTG raises...2 callers....hmmmmm, I better have something good under here". Action gets to you and you are looking at a KJos - muck.

A little off topic - but good helpful hints nonetheless...

06-07-2002, 01:16 AM
i usually have my sunglasses with me when i visit the cardroom. but that's because they just happen to be in my pocket. i will rarely wear them at the table. only once in a while will i put them on. i do this when i think the table will enjoy a good laugh, and i make a big show about it. it usually is pretty funny. if you are playing higher limits, where people might notice what you do with your eyes, then they might be justified. but the LL players who do this are trying to hard to look like someone to respect. id rather focus on not having any tells to give off than to hide my eyes with sunglasses.

06-09-2002, 10:44 PM
I like playing against players who wear sunglasses in doors. I think at least one time they will misread their cards

06-16-2002, 05:55 PM
At least in the 3-6 games, most of the players wearing sunglasses tend to be very loose aggressive. Not always, but you seldom find any rocks wearing them. I find it (at LL) to be as much of an indicator of loose aggressives as the expensive jewelry and loud, flamboyant behavior. A lot of these people tend to "make moves" at the pot because they think it is cool too. Of course you have to watch, because every once in a while a good player at LL will be wearing sunglasses. Then you call him down and are toast, LOL.

Tim