PDA

View Full Version : Another interesting decision

gomberg
09-24-2003, 01:11 PM
I was playing a $1/2 NL holdem pretty passive stars game the other night. I was on the button w/ A9h and there were 2 limpers plus 2 blinds in.

Flop:
AsKd9s giving me top and bottom pair.

small blind checks, big blind goes all-in for $120, UTG calls all-in for about $50, decision to me (I have both covered). What do you do? BB just sat down, and UTG was loose passive.

My thought process was that one of them had a flush draw (no idea which one), and I don't think anyone has AA or KK. AK is a possibility and 99 is a small possibility. K9 and A higher kicker than 9 is a possibility too...

I'll post results later.

Thanks,

Jeff

crockpot
09-24-2003, 01:24 PM
from my experience, BB either has a monster here or is on a draw and is making an extremely expensive semi-bluff. the rub is that you said it was a passive game. if i've seen BB do this with a draw before, i call and take a race. even if UTG beats me i can profit by taking out BB.

sam h
09-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Call. BB either has a draw, a weak ace, or nothing. Two pair is rarely behind somebody making this type of maniacal overbet. And he's the only one you have to beat to show a profit here. I think you're going to be ahead of UTG a fair amount of time here as well, although AK or 99 is certainly a possibility for him.

gomberg
09-24-2003, 07:27 PM
Great post! You read it exactly right. Unfortunately, I couldn't bring myself to make the call even though I should have. The BB had A4o w/ 4 of spades, the UTG guy had a spade draw which didn't hit. I really blew a positive edge play. Oh well, next hand...

limon
09-24-2003, 07:52 PM
...hmmmm, must be an on line thing.

crockpot
09-24-2003, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...hmmmm, must be an on line thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

quite true. anyone knows that the best use of position is to steal a pot, which is much harder to do online than in a live game, simply because the opponents are looser.