PDA

View Full Version : Book suggestions?

01-21-2002, 09:10 PM
My background:

I'm 24 years old, live in Maryland, and have been playing poker seriously for about 3 years now. I started at the lower limits in Paradise, did quite well, and have had success up to and including the $20-$40 game there. I play in home games "for fun" with firends occasionally, and make it up to Atlantic City once in a while, were I have also had success. I played low limits for about a year, spent a few months at the $10-$20 and $15-30 games to get accustomed to playing for "real money", and now I play the $20-$40 game at the Taj, and have no problem holding my own. I've played in the Weekly hold em tournament at the Trop three times, and finished in the top half all three - a second place, and two times I didn't cash.

My plans for the immediate future are to continiue to play the $20-40 game at the Taj, I'd also like to take a shot at the higher games if I think the table looks good, and I'd like to expand my tournament schedlue this year (I think they're more fun and I like the "competition"). I plan on playing the limit hold'em tournament at the Trop 5-6 times this year, and would like to make it to Foxwoods in October if it fits my schedule. I know the basics of Omaha and Stud, but I'm certain I'd lose if I played them at decent limits against good opponents. I play almost exclusively Hold em though.

My current library:

Thursday Night Poker (Peter Stenier)

Hold Em Poker

Hold Em Poker for Advanced Players

The Theory of Poker

Hold Em Book of Odds

Inside the Poker Mind

Championship Hold Em (TJ/McEvoy)

Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players

High-Low Split Poker for Advanced Players

Poker Essays III

Caro's Book of Tells (New Edition)

Supersystem

OK- On to my question. Where do I go from here? I was impressed the Poker Essays III, and plan on buying I and II. I was also thinking about Jim Brier's new book (opinions?). Any other suggestions? Is there any software worth buying? Any non-TwoPlusTwo books that I may not be familiar with?? Any books that could help with touraments?

I consider myself a serious sudent of the game, and would like to continue to improve. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I appreciate all responses. Thanks guys.

01-22-2002, 03:35 PM
Any book by ciaffone is exce1llent..

Poker eassays is a must 1 & 11

jg

01-22-2002, 03:38 PM
If you are a serious student you should read as many books as you can from whatever source. Picking out the bad ones and finding their strategical errors is a good exercise for your game. You are obviously at the point where learning about strategy by reading is of little help.

Pat

01-22-2002, 10:17 PM
Bob Ciaffobe's, "Improve your Poker" and Roy Cooke's, "Real Poker: The Cooke Collection"

I'd trade the new "Book of Tells" for a copy of the old one if you can.

If you play some no-limit tourneys, get Cloutier's No-limit book (and Ciaffone's).

Good luck,

Paul Talbot

01-23-2002, 01:45 AM
I have not heard of this book, but of course I am new. Who wrote it and wher can I get it?

Thanks,

NS

01-23-2002, 01:06 PM
What is wrong with the new Book of Tells? Or, what is better with the old one? I don't have either yet.

01-25-2002, 01:52 PM
For the life of me I cant understand why someone would want a book on tells when theres a video..

My thinking is tells are body motions etc..

they`re not static displays...

Therefore the slight price difference is well worth the investment...

jg

01-25-2002, 01:55 PM