PDA

View Full Version : Inside the Poker Mind

01-20-2002, 01:41 AM
I purchased this book a last year and after a few chapters, I knew it was well spent cash. This book was very good for me, as I needed to understand not poker, but myself.

As they say: "a little knoledge is a dangerous thing"

I had a few books, memorized starting hands, learned about pot odds, etc...

In the long run I misunderstood what I wanted with playing poker. Sure it is about money, but that is why I was losing. After reading this book, I began to under why I and many others lost money consistanty. Poker has turned into a game of respect and dicipline for me. The money surely flows to the players with the most.

Thank you, John. I pick it up often and I learned a few things about myself that effect my non-poker life.

Gary W.

please ignore spelling errors, as I spell poorly

01-20-2002, 12:24 PM
Gary,

I agree with you in the fact that it's an excellent book, but I got more out it from a playing standpoint than a psychological standpoint. Whatever works ! B.

01-20-2002, 12:48 PM
I would paint a jackass blue and rub the poor bastard's left ear if Two Plus Two told me it was worth 1 BB per hour!

Knowing you are making a mistake is important. Knowing why is is invaluable. Playing too many hands and the chapters on tilting are as phychological as you can get with poker. Anyone who has read and studied the books on this site and are not enjoying many winning sessions are likely missing some information. These chapters and the rest may help many understand why they win early in a session and then bleed it away with bankroll-knumbing cold calls and tilting.

I tilt very easy, getting AA blasted by 93s is going to happen. It is usually by trying to get it back by playing KJ UTG when I know my game has much preflop raising or some other very dumb mistake. This is a problem, not with our play (directly) but our brains.

If you have ever said "Damn, I knew better than to call his raise with that," buy this book.

Gary W.

01-20-2002, 03:38 PM
"I would paint a jackass blue and rub the poor bastard's left ear if Two Plus Two told me it was worth 1 BB per hour! "

LOL !

01-20-2002, 03:57 PM
"I would paint a jackass blue and rub the poor bastard's left ear if Two Plus Two told me it was worth 1 BB per hour!"

This is definitely worth one big bet an hour. Have fun.

01-20-2002, 07:44 PM
It's a very interesting book and well written too.

A small criticizing: the author give us excellent examples of WON hands and not examples of LOSING hands and this fact can lead the less experienced players to a riskious approach in some situations with marginal hands (even if he warns about that)

However a book which cannot stay out of any poker player library.

Marco

01-22-2002, 11:10 AM
I might pay you one big bet per hour just to see you do it!!

Pat

01-22-2002, 11:33 PM
I'll be right back, need to find a jackass /images/smile.gif