PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Punk Album Of All Time

Bill Murphy
09-22-2003, 08:03 PM
City Baby's Revenge by GBH.

Picked it up yesterday, remastered & w/a bunch of extra singles from Leather, Bristles, Studs, & Acne added.

Rages nonstop from beginning to end.

Top punk albums of all time:

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks
Suicidal Tenedencies - Suicidal Tendencies
Fear - The Record
Angry Samoans - Back From Samoa
Black Flag - Damaged
The Clash - The Clash
Misfits - Legacy Of Brutality

Bets punk songs:

Anarchy In The UK
God Save The Queen
Suicidal Failure
Won't Fall In Love Today
Institutionalized
I Don't Care About You
I Love Living In The City
New York's Alright If You Like Saxophones
Janie Jones
Ever Fallen In Love(with someone you shouldn't have)
Rat Fink
Death Comes Ripping
The Street Where Nobody Lives
What's This Sh1t Called Love
Not Of This Earth

Best punk song title:

I'll Drink(to that love song)

baggins
09-22-2003, 11:27 PM
I would also suggest adding Minor Threat's Discography (1cd) to you list. They were so important to punk/hardcore.

their cover of 'Stepping Stone' is wonderful.

Cyrus
09-23-2003, 03:11 AM
"A lapdance is so much better when the dancer is crying", by what was the name of that band? Recent song too. Horrible title!..

John Cole
09-23-2003, 08:12 AM
Bill,

Best academic article title inspired by a punk band: "Never Mind the Tagmemics; Where's the Sex Pistols?"

Cyrus
09-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Speaking of academia : There was a book about the music and the importance of Frank Zappa with a title that read like a Zappa song title, only I'm not so sure which 'un:

"The Negative Dialectics of Poodle Play"

tiltboy
09-23-2003, 12:01 PM
I'm partial to X's Under the Big Black Sun myself. And how you have such a list without Iggy Pop and his Raw Power album is beyond me.

tiltboy
09-23-2003, 12:30 PM
The band is Bloodhound Gang and in the title replace 'dancer' with 'stripper'.

Boris
09-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Do Suicidal, The Clash and the Misfits really count as punk?

If so, I would add 13 Songs by Fugazi, another one of those one album wonders.

PlayerA
09-23-2003, 01:50 PM
A followup to best song title:

"Too Drunk to ****" - Dead Kennedys

Bill Murphy
09-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Well, the Sex Pistols were one album wonders too! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bill Murphy
09-23-2003, 04:38 PM
I'm not nor never was a punk, but AC/DC was my favorite band, so it's easy to see how I would like Oi! stuff, such as GBH or Fear.

And I always was on the lookout for a catchy riff, such as the Pistols, or Joy Division's "Transmission". Dunno if JD are "punk" but there's some great stuff on Substance, aside from the hits.

Were the Butthole Surfers punk? They certainly haven't been since Worm Saloon(great album, produced by m'boy John Paul Jones. Everything since by them sucks).

Never could get into NY hardcore or the East Coast/CBGB scene much(other than the Ramones a bit), although I'm well aware of how respected MT/F are. Had a friend who was a big fan, but what I heard didn't grab me at all. Ditto Mudhoney & Green River. Might have to give'em all a try again.

Guess I'm just a middle-class bourgeouis, who wants to be spoonfed corporate radio-friendly unit shifters.... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bill Murphy
09-23-2003, 04:46 PM
I've never heard much X, as I was a metalhead(Sabbath, not hair metal) not a punk. I would like to hear Black Sun, as I've heard a lot about it.

Read an article in Kerrang in the mid 80's raving about Raw Power, what legends the Stooges were, etc. Their early albums had just been re-released so I bought Raw Power on vinyl.

I thought it sucked completely. The MC5's Kick Out The Jams is lightyears better. It's been a long time, so I'd listen to the Stooges again to be fair, but I won't pay a penney, and IMO, other than LFL & Candy, Iggy Pop firmly resides in the top five most overrated musicians list.

Guy's interviews are better than his albums, much like Oasis. Wow, he did heroin with David Bowie. So did John Lennon, and look what happened to him. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

baggins
09-24-2003, 01:26 AM
ha.

i've always come at things from a more metal perspective myself (sabbath et al, not hair metal). but there is a lot of punk that i can get into. the ramones are awesome, if a little formulaic at times (but they never pretended to be anything but..). some would classify The Misfits as hardcore. but the line between hardcore and punk has always been blurry.

I have always hated The Clash with a passion. I have tried to get into them, but just can't stand them. many of my friends that bend more toward punk feel the same way.

and 13 Songs is a damn good album. you should check out The Argument if you haven't already.

also, some would be confused by my claim above that i was into metal, but not hair metal. the confusion might be caused by the GNR logo i use as my avatar. so i'll submit this: GNR weren't hair metal. or at least they were a good band writing absolutely amazing songs along with having a lot of hair. but they were always more Harley-Rock than Hair metal. i mean, aside from Axl's early days, they didn't wear makeup and dresses. anyway, i don't consider GNR hair metal. I consider them some of dying embers of classic rock-n-roll (which isn't to say there are no new bands fanning the flames...)

Bill Murphy
09-24-2003, 09:36 PM
I'm begging ya, f-in' begging ya, to get GBH's City Baby's Revenge.

I've always hated the clash, too, but Janie Jones off the first album is a pretty good song.

GNR defo not hair metal. They were really more from the Alice Cooper/KISS/Aerosmith school, than the Sabbath-AC/DC-Motorhead school. I'm not wild about them, but Slash is a truly, truly, great guitarist. What a waste.

KJS
09-25-2003, 01:20 AM
Additions:

Inflammable Material by Stiff Little Fingers. Their "Law and Order" might be my favorite punk song ever.

Entertainment by Gang of Four. Might not fit everyone's definition of the genre but an amazing album that I consider punk.

Only Ones Peel Session if that counts, if not their Self Titled debut. I would rate their "Why Don't You Kill Yourself?" as one of the best punk song titles, and songs.

No Ramones? Surely that was a mistake. "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" deserves best song mention, at least. I would put their first on my top punk album list for sure.

"I Wanna Be a Homosexual" by Screaching Weasel is on my all time best song list, regardless of genre, and belongs on best punk songs too therefore, IMO.

KJS