PDA

View Full Version : One last NLHE hand before I shut up for 2 weeks again.

Acesover8s
09-22-2003, 06:01 PM
1-2 partypoker No Peek NLHE game.

I get dealt the preflop nuts, yes Qs9s, in the cutoff. I have more faith in this hand than I do my dog. Anyway, 3 limpers and I just limp too, I have $220 and the table covered. 5 in for $2 each

Flop comes Qd9dTh. UTG ($95) bets out $7. Folded to me I make it $20 to go. BB cold calls. UTG raises all in. I think a long time and . . . what do I do?

Graham
09-23-2003, 10:51 AM
I don't know....and that's my serious answer.

Well...if you've seen him push your opp do the shove it in hard on the flop with a draw, then maybe I'd go for it. Otherwise, it might not be worth it between being beat already (at worst) and having a race off with a draw(s) (at best). The most plausible scenarios.

jmho

G

Zag
09-23-2003, 10:55 AM
I know that if UTG is me, you should call. I'd be glad to have you double me up. He, of course, has the preflop uber-nuts, KJs.

tewall
09-23-2003, 11:47 AM
As your opponent has gone all-in, this is a math problem. Let's see how I do.

Assuming I counted and understood the description correctly, there is 44 in the pot just before your opponent's all-in raise. (5 limpers * 2 = 10, + 7 of opponent, + 27 by you = 44). He had 95 to start with, so after limping in and betting 7, he has 86 left. After his bet there is 130 in the pot. It costs you 49 to call and after your call there would be 179 in the pot.

If his chance of bluffing is 49/179 (or just over 1 in 4), it won't make any difference whether you call or not. If you judge him to be more than 25% likely to be bluffing, you should call. If less, then fold.

If you're unsure, you can prevent him by gaining by bluffing by calling 1/3 of the time and folding the other 2/3 (86/130).

These calculations would be a bit much to do at the table, but by doing them away from the table you can develop your intution.

A simpler way of looking at this, which calculation can be done at the table, is you must risk 49 to win 130 (about 40%), so if you think your chances of winning are 40% or more you should call.

Acesover8s
09-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the responses this was a tough one. I knew I couldn't fold Q9, heck, I've called with Q9 high before on the river. It never does me wrong.

But this time, the Q9 winked at me, just a little to let me know we could part. I hesitated as long as I could and folded.

UTG had flopped a set of tens and the SB had JdXd for a monstrous draw. Leaving me with a 2 outer.

I thought this was an interesting hand as it was the first NLHE hand on party where I have folded 2 pair on the flop, glad to see everyone else was as unsure as I was.

crockpot
09-23-2003, 01:46 PM
even on party, i don't think you're going to find too many people who will get raised to 20 then push all in on a bluff.

i think the only way you can consider calling here is if you read both the bettor and caller for draws. if one of them has a made hand it will be better than yours, and if one has a straight draw and the other a flush draw you are barely ahead. only if they both have flush draws are you really in good shape. that's too remote a chance for me. maybe if the board was less coordinated i make this call.

sdplayerb
09-23-2003, 02:16 PM
I would have folded that to that action.
Don't go broke limping.
Somebody could easily have a straight or a set.

Sucks to drop top two pair, but what could you really be beating here with two people in?