PDA

View Full Version : bad play or bad result?

pittsburgh_kid
09-22-2003, 02:40 PM
I was playing $5 - 10 at the Taj, and had been at the same table for a few hours when the following hand came up.
I was the low card force with a duece; I tossed in $2 without looking, and was called in 5 places.
4th street, I pair the duece and am high. I look down at duece in the hole.
Player to my immediate left has been betting all night -- and winning a lot of money -- and I am feeling sure he will bet the max if I check, so I check and he does not disappoint, firing $10. All players call to me, and I check-raise the max. One player folds and the rest call.
[An aside here: what can they put me on that they feel it is worth another $10 here? I am representing trips or a BIG 2 pair, and have been playing tight all night, which has not gone unnoticed.]
5th street, I am still high and no one is representing suits; I bet, all call.
6th street, I am still high and still no suits and likely straights. My pair cards are live, and I am hoping to boat, but feel confident my hand is still boss. I bet, called in all spots.
River comes and I don't boat. I bet, hoping to get called by 2 pair, which is highly likely in this game, and one get one caller who shows a straight. When he showed his hand, he had no pairs in it, and no possible flush draw.

My feeling is that I played this hand perfectly and got a bad result, but I can't be sure.
If I just bet out on 4th street with the open pair, I doubt anyone will fold. By check-raising, I am trying to send a clear signal that I have some serious cards. I am very willing to win the pot right there, but at least want to dislodge a draw or 2 (going against 5 players is no fun). Any dead money is of course the best kind.

I wasn't confident that the player to my left would raise the pot to shut out the field if I bet out (I'd been sitting with him for hours by then, and he had not made that play the entire time).

I do realize that by check raising in this spot, many players are getting pretty good odds to call given the size of the pot.

So, thoughts on how I played it?

MRBAA
09-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Played fine but -- I'd have bet out on fourth. Small trips in a huge field want to announce themselves. Make the double bet and even if you're not reraised the others have more reason to fold than when the other guy, who's been betting all night, bets once again. When it comes back, they aren't going to fold having already put in one bb.

I'd probably not have bet into a multiway group on the river here -- but I do understand your thinking.

Andy B
09-22-2003, 07:47 PM
I think you played just fine. I just bet the max on fourth street, as I also bet paired door cards when I don't have much. Obviously you want some action in this case, but if everyone folded every time I paired my door card, it would suit me just fine. And do you really want to tie everyone on when you have a small set? I would also tend to check and call on the river.

pianist
09-24-2003, 04:15 AM
You shouldn't bet the river. While there might be players dumb enough to call you with two pair after all this betting, chances are that even a complete idiot will have put you on trip twos for all this betting. You practically showed your hand on 4th street. Also, if you check, it might induce a bluff, and you make a little extra money.

Otherwise you played the hand well. The check-raise on fourth was a brilliant play in a loose game against chasers. It shows good instincts on your part.

DocHollyday
09-24-2003, 08:57 AM
I used to play this hand exactly as you did until I lost a huge pot, because I did not improve. The funny thing was, that I also had a set of 2, but rolled up. I also threw the forced bet in blind and checking my whole cards afterwards. I slowplayed them (bad play) until the 5th street (at least 5 players in as I remember). Unfortunately someone hit a flush and my trips were bad. Now I pretty much bet just out when I have something like this. Trips are cool but unimproved too vulnerable. Try to reduce the field. I could imagine that the loose player next to you, could have even raised your bet and drive someone else out. Then you could have three-bet etc.

However, all is different if you fill up, then your play would have been just fine. But unfortunately you never know. So I'd look how good the cards run that night. If you're already winning a lot, why not trying to make a huge one. If you're loosing and getting drawed out pretty much, try to get the pot right away.