PDA

View Full Version : Table Image

southerndog
09-22-2003, 10:20 AM
Do you guys think drunk is a good table image.
The last couple of times I've played, being drunk
has actually helped me tighten up. I was more
patient to wait for good cards since I was having a
good time drinking, while others probably discredited
my abilities since I was tanked.

Dwayne
09-22-2003, 11:42 AM
"Do you guys think drunk is a good table image."

I think not. Better players will force you to make difficult decisions. The influence of alcohol will impede your decision making process. By being drunk you are more likely to make wrong decisions. If you are just pretending to be drunk, better players will see through that act by watching your play.

Copernicus
09-22-2003, 11:51 AM
One time when playing (or being) drunk can be a huge advantage is when you are getting great cards. You are going to get called far more often because they think you are playing anything. Of course, you have to be sober enough to know you are getting great cards, and when to turn it off!

Al Schoonmaker
09-22-2003, 01:32 PM
For every dollar you gain by your table image you will lose two or three or ten because of the reduction of your decision making abilities.
First, only intelligent players pay attention to image, and they will base their perceptions on how you play, not your alcoholic consumption.
Second, the drunk image is not that helpful. For example, it makes it much harder to bluff.
Third, the evidence is overwhelmingly clear that any alcohol beyond one or two significantly reduces your thinking ability (and the first two may even hurt you).
If you think you are gaining by drinking at the table, you are denying reality.
Sorry to be so harsh, but you did ask for our opinions.
Regards,
Al

archmagi
09-23-2003, 05:51 AM
I agree with all above responses: it's not worth drinking to project a care-free image.
However, if you're talking about a home game where everybody else is drinking, then being the only one not to drink might have a disadvantage. If the others think that you're taking the game much more seriously than them, they will play better against you. So, if everybody else is drinking at home, then I do too, but less than the others.

RollaJ
09-23-2003, 10:11 AM
I recently played 2-4 with some non player friends (recently my regular limit has been 15-30). Either way I got drunk and played like a total ass for 5 hours and always got callers coming along (especially when I raised blind). I lost $130 including about $25 in waitress tips. More importantly IT WAS A BLAST!!
It was great to sit there one night and not worry about playing right and just have fun, I must have seen 60% of the flops /images/graemlins/grin.gif

So yes its a good image as long as you dont play like your drunk