PDA

View Full Version : How did I play this NLHE hand pocket 33

Acesover8s
09-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Party 1-2$ blind game. I am on the button with $96, most players have me covered, been here for one orbit. I limp behind 4 limpers with 33.

Flop comes 3h4h8h. Checked to MP who bets $2. I make it $15 to go. Folded back to him, he minraises to $28. I call.

The turn is an offsuit 5. He bets his remaining $50 and I call.

How did I do, and where do you put him?

Paul2432
09-21-2003, 05:14 PM
This is a tricky hand, or at least it would be for me. The bettor could have the bare Ah or the flush, or even the nut flush. I think you have to raise on the flop, but once he re-raises, I put him on the nut flush because his betting pattern screams that he wants to keep you in. Once you call his re-raise on the flop though, the pot is large enough that he would like to win it uncontested so he moves all-in. You don't have odds to draw to the boat so I think you should have folded on the turn.

Because of the bad situation on the turn, your play is to probably re-raise all-in or fold when he re-raises you on the flop. I would be inclined to fold,since it was 5-way pre-flop, making it more likely someone indeed had the flush.

JMO, of course, I would love to hear what others think.

Paul

James282
09-21-2003, 05:24 PM
i've seen people make this play in his spot with top two pair, or even rolled up aces or kings. it completely depends on the person you're playing against. if he's aggressive then you probably have him beat. have you seen him in many hands before this one? Would he semibluff the ace of clubs? A lot of things to consider. I would probably call him all in here and rebuy if I got busted, because your table image after that is you aren't getting pushed off hands. Be interested to see how it turns out.
-james

bugstud
09-21-2003, 05:36 PM
I would personally go allin to the minreraise. If you're behind get your money in now where you have 2 cards to improve, and charge a hand like Ah8x the max here.

1800GAMBLER
09-21-2003, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
since it was 5-way pre-flop, making it more likely someone indeed had the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was 10 way, it's still only a 3 in 10 chance or 3:7 shot that the flush is there.

I got busted on this hand when i had top two pair against a made flush before, i'd still throw my money in again on the hand. In your case you have a lot more outs than i. Throw your money in on the flop and if you made a mistake it's only a small one.

William
09-21-2003, 07:58 PM
There is also the possibility that he has flopped a set and is testing you to find out if you have a flush yourself. Or he could have an overpair. In any case if you have decided that wathever happens, you are going to call his bet on the turn, it's always better to go all-in on the flop. Sometimes it will scare a bigger set. Not very likely, but it happens.
Let us know what happened. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

soda
09-21-2003, 08:14 PM
I suggest pushing in on the flop to his miniraise. You may very well have the best hand here and if you don't you will finish with the best hand 1 out of 3 times, unless he has a higher set. Also, if you are ahead, you make him call his whole stack as a big dog with a draw.

Once you misplay (IMO) the flop, you have to decide if he has you beat on the turn. If he does have you beat on the turn and you call, you are losing money as you are well short on odds to fill up. If he doesn't have you beat and you fold - you are losing money by folding the best hand. Difficult decision, but I would curse and call here with a set in a soft game (Party Poker). There are many hands you could beat - AA, KK with the flush draw. Naked flush draw semibluff.

GL

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

soda

Acesover8s
09-22-2003, 12:04 PM
I put him firmly on the bare Ace play although I haven't seen a lot of people use it in NLHE yet so far. My plan was to get it all in on the turn if a non-pairing heart didn't show.

Anyway, turn is a nonheart, big card he bets all in and I call, river bricks. He has Ah8x which one of the posters called. So I drag it.

My preference from playing PLO is usually to make the big move on the turn when you can really kill their odds with only 1 card to come. Is the flop considered the crux of the hand in NLHE, like the turn is in PLO?

1800GAMBLER
09-22-2003, 12:13 PM
I like your idea as well. I heard that idea used when someone just sucked out an overpair on the flop. Wait untill the turn comes, as long as it didn't pair the board, then throw all the money in. So the same applies in NLHE just not many people use it.

I sometimes like doing it with marginal hands on boards with lots of draws.

Jon Matthews
09-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Getting the money in on the turn would be more common in pot limit than no limit I suppose hence the PLO/NLHE difference...

I still like the turn play though and also use it when I can

Jon