PDA

View Full Version : cloutier

12-26-2001, 06:27 AM
I just read the omaha book from cloutier. How the @#$% it posible that this man has won so many tournaments as he say, is he lying???

at page 101 he says something like this:

if you're drawing to a flush at the flop in omaha and there are 8 people playing there are 4*8=32 + 3 = 35 cards out so that means that there are 17 cards left.till so far I agree... now he says something like don't draw to a flush because the cards you are looking for might be in somebody else's (folded) hand. I agree with this as well if he means that someone that in some situations it's likely that someone else is also drawing to the flush which means that you have less outs then you first thought. But he doesn't mean it like this because he says that for this reason he would prefer less people in a omaha game...

/

Is there something I should kbow about this? is the man crazy or a genius?

12-27-2001, 10:24 AM
He can play, but he can't teach you how to play. I believe that a lot of his wins come from "feel", like Doyle. That is something that cannot be taught. Basically his books suck.

12-29-2001, 12:06 AM
Ok, bottom line, is it worth it at all to buy his book Championship Hold 'em. If it is just terrible and gives incorrect advice then I won't buy it. I don't mind paying the 39.95 if it gives me a few good tips or a different way of looking at a few things, but if it is just awful I won't get it at all.

I find it hard to believe his books can be that inaccurate, he is one of the best players in the history of the WSOP (money-wise, anyway), so the guy has to know poker. Unless he is just lying it would be amazing to me if at least some of this did not come across in his books.

Just wondering what you guys think, I am confused because he is apparently such a great player, but then I see a lot of people bagging on his books. So it is hard to know what to think.

Tim

12-29-2001, 08:43 AM
To be honest with you, I'm not much of a limit player. Maybe that is why I didn't like the limit book as compared to HPFAP. I enjoyed reading his pot-limit, no-limit book. However Stewart and Bob's big-bet is much better. The writing reminds of super/system, plain and simple. Easy to read, he just doesn't write it as well as he knows it. Shop around if your still interested in buying it, as it's not worth the $40. I've seen it on ebay coupla times.

12-30-2001, 09:23 PM
A while back, I wasn't sure why everyone said that Cloutier books are such crap, but now I've read them.

01-01-2002, 12:39 AM
Thanks Dirk and Broker,

You have saved me money. It is too bad, apparently some people play a great game but can't write. Perhaps the opposite is true in some cases but who knows. I do know my own poker logic takes a hit when I sit down in a live game, as opposed to writing a post, maybe with Cloutier he hits his "mental block" in the opposite way, when he sits down at the typewriter. Anyway thanks for the warning.

Tim

01-02-2002, 04:44 PM
... if Cloutier actually sat down at a typewriter. The style of the book suggests to me that he sat down and casually chatted about poker, and someone else actually put the words on paper. Can anyone confirm this?

Dirk