PDA

View Full Version : Tactics

BogeyWan
09-19-2003, 07:37 PM
I posted this in the "internet" section, but felt that it might be more appropriate here. I really would be interested to get some feedback on this, so here it is.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I ran across this the other night..... kinda along the same lines and wondering if anyone has seen this or perhaps utilized this tactic and your feelings on it. Playing at UB, at the 1-2 NL table I think. A player comes to the table, I can't remember his name now (I know I should have written it down, I make notes on them on the software and then forget) Anyway..... he takes a bit of a bad beat and starts berating and goading the offending party, and others as well. He's playing pretty loose, all the while moderately being an ass. Pretty commonplace stuff so far..... however..... as the game goes on, he seems to tighten up quite a bit, then starts taking down some pretty sizable pots. And the more I watched (that little voice kept telling me not to get mixed up in these right now) the more I got the sense that this guy was a player and all his ranting was just an act to goad people into mixing it up with him. And it did seem that he got a lot of calls and raises from people who were just pissed and wanting to take him down. It actually was fascinating to watch. But, like I said, I was just wondering if anyone else has run across this or even tried this as a tactic??? It seemed to work for this guy.

Dwayne
09-20-2003, 12:40 AM
I did something similar. While I was waiting for a seat in the 10/20 Hold’em game I jumped in a 1-5-stud game. It was a very tight-passive game of mostly senior citizens. They were calling $1 opening bets and then checking around to the river. I think the bad beat jackpot was very large that night.

I started playing what I consider good poker; selective aggressive, raise, re-raise, and check-raise. During the game I was happy, cheerful and telling jokes at the table. No unkind words were said, none by me at least. My style really irritated three blue haired old ladies. They tried to take their vengeance out on me for disrupting their casual game. For the next three hours they called all my bets and raises with junk cards. It makes you wonder sometimes. John Finn would be proud.

zuluking
09-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Was that in Lake Charles or Kinder. They play at both! lol.

Dwayne
09-21-2003, 11:16 PM
They are at Lake Charles, Kinder, Marksville, and New Orleans. Grumpy blue hairs seem to be everywhere.